Monday, July 28, 2008

Could use a talking pie...

Job Search Update: I now have my offer in writing, which means that I can discuss it without as much fear of jinxing it. Of course, I am unsure as to whether the potential employer is aware of this blog so I’ll still have to keep things a little vague at the moment. Here is the big point about the job. The office is in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania. For those who have no idea where that is (which I assume is pretty much everyone) that is roughly 43 miles (or an hour commute) from Philadelphia and 13 miles (or a 30 minute commute) from lovely Wilmington, Delaware. If I happen to have any blog readers from that area please feel free to let me know what you think of the area. I’m at a bit of a loss myself.

Though after seeing the ad for the following I am beginning to wonder why I am not heading out to Hollywood to make my living as a screenwriter. Yes, in a few weeks we will have a new number one film in America with “The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2”. They made a sequel to the original. That is one of the most insane things I have ever even comprehended. Not only did Hollywood decide to make a film about a magical pair of jeans that improves the lives of four very different but yet oh so similar teenage females but it was decided that a two hour feature was not enough time to fully tell the story of Merlin’s denim. If that sells in Hollywood I know that I could crank out a few scripts in a weekend that could be made.

(I also saw an ad for Starship Troopers 3, available on DVD this week. Given that I don’t recall Starship Troopers 2 (and barely remember Starship Troopers 1) I really do not have high hopes for that flick.)

I hate to admit it but today has been a bit of a blah day for me. When I am back working for a living I am going to look at days like today and wonder just what the hell I was doing. Sure, sleeping in and just lounging on the couch is nice and all but I could be a little more productive with my time off. I guess I am still just trying to adjust to the fact that my time in this part of the country might be over and I will soon be packing up and moving to a new corner of the world. That is not exactly an easy thing for me to deal with and apparently my default coping mechanism is to lie on the couch and hope that everything fixes itself while I’m not looking. Surprisingly, this is how I deal with every breakup as well. Strange, isn’t it?

I’m guessing that tomorrow is going to be a better day. I just think I need to get to sleep at a regular hour and then get up, have breakfast and make an effort to have a regular day. I think I have had a combination of very late nights and too much time spent in my own head the past few days. Once I break that habit and make a decision on my future things will begin to move in the right direction. Or at least I will have a timetable to work from. Having dates on a calendar that I will have to deal with will be of great help.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Suggestion: why don't you book a quick trip out there, get a rental car and a cheap hotel room in the area, and just drive around & explore? See what the commute to work is like. Ask around and find out what areas young, single people live in. Go check them out. Also, you really seem to like music: are there any good clubs in the area? Get a feel for it and see if you can project yourself into that setting. Just a thought. Good luck.