Saturday, July 26, 2008

80's Weekend Rewind #2



Your 80’s weekend rewind, slightly delayed because I kind of forgot to post it this afternoon.

In honor of the Olympics here is the Asia classic “Only Time Will Tell”. Exactly why a gymnast is featured in the video has never been made clear. I don’t believe that anyone upon first hearing this song would immediately think “this song could be greatly improved by a tumbling routine.” It is not as though it is in time to the music or anything. Sure it is probably on beat but there is no dramatic impact.

Also, I would like to use this video as an indication of what it was like pre flat screens and digital cable. That is what a high quality television set looked like in the early 80’s. Very large boxes where the right hand portion of the box is taken up with analog dials for channel selection. Yes this is when you had a VHF and UHF selector and heaven help you if you lost the knob with the channels on it. I literally had to use pliers to change the channels on one of my sets growing up.

And as much as I would like to make fun of Asia I really can’t. As a kid I just loved their songs. And sure it is cheesy and overly synthed but it is still a great song to listen to. Basically no different than listening to Keane today. Consider that a positive thing. Anyone that makes a song that lasts 25 years has done something right.

No comments: