Thursday, December 11, 2008

Saying goodbye to a dear friend


I really, really, really do not want to write this post.

I’ve been avoiding writing about this subject on the hope that if I didn’t mention it maybe I will find out that it never happened. That I misread a news article and an email and that it is all just my mind playing a trick on me. But no matter how much we would all like to lie in bed with the blanket over our heads and stay safely unaware in the end we must all face reality.

I received news today that my good friend Donna had tragically passed away at much too young of an age.

I’ve mentioned Donna a lot in my years of keeping the blog. I’ve always referred to her as my favorite bartender, which is undoubtedly true but misses the entire point. Bartender was just her job title. She was at times my confidant, life coach and friend. And one of the most amazing people I have ever met.

One of the things that I have noticed about this world is how little interest people have in one another. Sure we are polite and say, “Hi, how are you doing” but I don’t know if we ever mean it. We all say niceties as a way to make it through the day. But Donna legitimately cared about everyone she met. She would take a genuine interest in someone even though she didn’t have to. She helped me out just by being herself and caring about how I was doing. It’s tough to explain but the person I am now is in part due to her encouragement. She helped to bring me out of my shell at Notre Dame and I owe her great thanks for it.

There are so many great times that I will remember. Flying down to Mexico for Gabriel’s wedding and splitting a hotel room with her and friends. Closing down the Backer with her one night where I looked around to notice that I was the only customer left in the entire bar. The huge hug she gave me when I ran into her in front of the football stadium after graduation. And most of all, her look of joy when we all thanked her for all that she had done for us in our two years of graduate school.

I can’t believe that she is gone. I can’t believe that I’ll never get to see her smile again or hear her laugh. But I will always have my memories and I will always remember someone who took the time to care about someone when he needed it. And maybe I’ll be able to pass that gift on to someone else.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Donna and all of her family and friends. She will be missed.

No comments: