Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A request for advice

So I am faced with a dilemma at the moment. Ok, maybe dilemma isn’t the proper word here. Being faced with Sophie’s Choice is a dilemma. Choosing between briefcases on Deal or No Deal is an even bigger dilemma. I’m faced more with of a complete befuddlement at the moment. Mainly, I have no idea what to do on New Year’s Eve.

Now this would not be a problem if I was in Kansas City. I know exactly what I would do tomorrow night if I was in Kansas City. I would go down to The Brick and watch The Kelihans play and just drink and relax and have a good time. A dive bar with cheap drinks and a good Irish band is all that one needs on the last night of the year. Plus, going to The Brick is just like going to the Power and Light District except it doesn’t suck.

But I have escaped the vortex that is Kansas City and now find myself in Delaware where I do not know a single person that I do not work with and haven’t found a bar where I feel even remotely at home. Plus, all the places around here tend to have DJs so I haven’t even been able to find any decent live music in the area. So I am putting out an open plea to the blogosphere: What the hell should an unattached, single guy do on New Year’s Eve?

This is a much tougher question than one would originally think. I know that many of you will immediately suggest going to a bar but I must remind you what it is like to be in a crowded bar at midnight by yourself. Everyone around you is wildly drunk but you are not because you have to drive yourself home. The crowd is filled with people who only drink twice a year so they are annoying drunks as well. And, when the clock strikes midnight, everyone pairs off in an attempt to show just how much of a pathetic loser you are. So while it is an option it is not a preferred one.

(There is a counter option of going to a place of, how shall I put this, adult entertainment. There you can rest assured of female companionship at the midnight hour at the cost of overpriced drinks and your dignity. I’m cautious ever since I drove past one a month ago that advertised its Thanksgiving Buffet. I don’t even want to imagine what that was like.)

I could stay home of course and sit around writing, having a few drinks and ending the night by swearing at Ryan Seacrest and then turning off all the lights and listening to Smiths CDs until I pass out on my couch. Or I could do some shopping, which is a wonderfully American way of avoiding the fact that another year has passed me by. But this has been a rather momentous year for me with some of the best moments of my life and some of the absolute worst all included in it. I just feel that I should remember it in some special way. So if anyone has any ideas please pass them my way.

No comments: