Friday, February 18, 2005

Very late post...

Ok, it is unbelievably late (just got back from another concert. It's been one of those weeks...) Anyway, so I'll just write two really quick observations from this past week.

I'll admit that I spend a lot of time complaining about Kansas. And I have to say, it is not for a lack of material. But, Lawrence, KS is one of the coolest college towns that I have ever seen. Mass. St. is like the main college drag that I always dreamed of. A half dozen record stores with incredibly obscure music. Coffee shops everywhere. Cool, hip clothes stores along with places to get all your officially liscenced school products. On any given night, a half dozen bands playing within four blocks of each other. They even have some cool art galleries, including one where I am in continuing negotiations to see if I can get $500 knocked off the price of an original painting. I have no idea how Kansas ended up with such a vibrant art and alternative scene but I really, really appreciate it.

Other thing. A few months ago I decided to upgrade my cable and get the digital package with like a thousand channels. Which allows me to randomly run across something that makes me stop and stare at the screen for an hour. Like BET Jazz, which shows highlights from the Montreal Jazz Festival. Featuring Nina Simone. I know that this doesn't impress most people but I wasn't even sure if live footage of Nina playing actually existed. If you have any love for music you would be awe struck by the performance. I know Bruce sang 57 channels and nothing on, but I think he just needed to upgrade his system.

Have a good weekend everybody.

No comments: