Thursday, February 03, 2005

Preparations for Sunday

So, the Super Bowl is Sunday, along with the lingerie bowl and the Girls Gone Wild Halftime Spectacular. I’m not making those last two up, they both are going to be on at halftime. You just have to be amazed at what they can put on pay per view. I mean, what other sporting event can have pay per views specifically scheduled for intermission? But what happened to Bud Bowl? I actually lost money one year betting on it.

(For the record, I am choosing heads on my yearly coin flip bet. That is the ultimate gambler bet.)

My first point is actually in response to the Sports Guy column on ESPN Page 2 today. He mentioned that the Bears 46-10 victory in Super Bowl XX was one of the worst fifty days of his life (since he’s from Boston and had to watch the Patriots just get humiliated). The thing is, I’m from Chicago and that day ranks in my top ten lifetime. If they would have let Payton score I may have been forced to rank it as the best day of my life. There is nothing that beats watching your team just demolish everyone and everything in their path. (Note to the Sports Guy: The score was 46-10 and not 45-10 like he wrote in the column today. What, are you trying to take away a Kevin Butler extra point? Want to forget that safety in the first half? The Bears scored 46, just like the defense.)

I thought that I should figure out who I am cheering for on Sunday. Here’s my thought process.

I have more friends from Boston than Philadelphia so that makes me lean towards the Pats. But, they’ve already won two Super Bowls, the Red Sox won in October and they’ll probably just award the Stanley Cup to the Bruins so I think that Boston has enough hardware right now, thank you very much.

Philadelphia has Terrell Owens, who carried my fantasy team for the first half of the season. Of course, his broken leg destroyed my playoff run and cost me a lot of money.

New England has future ND coach Charlie Weis. However, if Weis was a true Domer he would have thrown the game against Indy so he could, you know, maybe have a chance to be recruiting prior to signing day.

Deion Branch was also on my fantasy team and he nursed a sore knee for eight weeks and screwed up a) my depth at wide receiver and b) my plans to package him with Jake Delhomme in order to pick up Corey Dillon. But the Pats make it up by actually playing ND’s David Givens at wide receiver, thus showing that there was a wide receiver at ND post-Tim Brown.

Musically, Boston has provided us with Extreme, Aerosmith and well, Boston. Philadelphia has given us Will Smith and in a roundabout way the song Eye of the Tiger from Rocky III. We’ll consider that a push. (I also have to admit that musically Boston also gave us the Throwing Muses and the Blake Babies, which makes up for Aerosmith in the period after their great songs in the late 70’s up to when they just decided to have entire albums written around Alicia Silverstone videos.)

It’s coming down to this in the end for me. Tom Brady went to Michigan. Donovan McNabb was the leader of the Mt. Carmel Caravan, the greatest dynasty in IHSA history.

Go Eagles.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You mentioned Throwing Muses and Blake Babies, but how could you forget The Pixies?