Thursday, February 24, 2005

A story about a dream

My ideas come from a lot of places. Sometimes a news story will catch my interest or I'll just see something out of the corner of my eye that will cause me to reflect. Or someone will say a line to me that just stays with me for years afterwards until I can finally place it in a story where it belongs.

What follows came to me in a dream a few years back. I wrote it pretty much without thinking and without editing. In all honesty, it is probably the favorite thing that I've written in the past five years. Since I started the blog a few months back I knew that I would one day post this but wanted to wait until the right moment. Tonight I needed to reread the story and remind myself that the moments in it remain true. And I figured that the time is right. Hope you enjoy it.



I saw my angel today, leaning over the balcony on Orleans. She stood there, blonde hair drifting over her face, watching as the first tourists wobbled their way through the French Quarter.

I was across the street in my overpriced room, morning coffee in hand, the heat slowly waking me. I watched as she glanced around, as her robe twisted about her, as she tried to understand the stories that walked about her. So, I wondered about her story.

I wondered how someone that beautiful, with the face of an angel, with eyes that could pierce your soul from across the street, could be looking out so alone. How her apartment behind her could appear to be so bare, how someone could be about without even a cup of coffee to start the day. I wondered if she was an artist, or a poet, or one of the many who just wander the streets of New Orleans from job to job.

I’m just here to find myself, personally. Oh, and if I happen to write the great American novel while I’m here that would be a plus. Faulkner and Fitzgerald both lived blocks away from here with their angels floating about them.

Maybe that is her story. She is the muse who walks the street of New Orleans. A Calliope of the bayou, inspiring fisherman to become painters, dockworkers to sing for joy, tourists, well, to wonder why they didn’t live here to begin with. She is the girl you see from the corner of your eye, as you walk the Quarter. You search but you never find her, but her beauty is written in your soul and from that moment on wherever you look, she is always there. She is the love that escapes you, the few moments of infinity that define life, the truth behind all of the stories ever written.

We are looking at each other right now, trying to decipher the secrets in each other. I could call out to her, ask her to inspire me, to tell me all of the stories that could possibly be written. But that is a debt that could not be repaid, and all of the glories that I could earn would be empty.

She’s beckoning me, with those eyes, calling to me, asking me to join her. Our stories must intersect. All stories must intersect at some point.

This is New Orleans, where all is joined together.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fallen AngelMaybe she's just like all of the rest. Low self esteeem masked by a padded push-up bra under a tight shirt and jeans that are 2 sizes too small. Vapid, constantly needing approval from her clone friends, and obsessed with image, she's an avid 'reader' of InStyle magazine. Wanting to have it all in life, but lacking the discipline/ambition to complete her bachelor's degree in less than 7 years at UNO and in the meantime scraping by waiting tables at Applebee's. She smokes too much. She prefers 'cute' over comfort in footwear. She has a tattoo of a dolphin on her ankle and a sunflower on her lower back. Her credit cards are nearly maxed out and her roommate still owes her for last months rent. She thinks she's fat. She dates a bartender who himself is on the fast track to a dead end. He cheats on her and treats her like dirt, but she sticks with him because she'd rather be with an asshole than be alone. She likes pop music and actually owns CDs by Ashlee Simpson and Kelly Clarkson.

You realize that she could never live up to the image you've built up in your mind about her. You regret ever having introduced yourself to her and you wished that you had never learned the truth because the mystery was so much more exciting. She's just another ordinary person. She isn't the muse, the muse was in your head.

You wonder why it was so hard to muster up ther courage to talk to her in the first place. You ask for her phone numnber knowing that you have no intention of ever calling her. Out of the corner of your eye you see another girl. Maybe she's different...

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should go back to New Orleans again, dude. Jazzfest IS coming up, you know.