Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Censorship update

Referring back to my Censor This! post back in January...

  • Good news. The Blue Valley school district has decided not to remove any books from their reading list, despite the protest of a lot of ill informed parents.
  • Bad news. The number of people who actually signed a petition asking for the removal of The Catcher in the Rye from the high school reading list was over 500. Remember folks, these people have the right to vote, drive a car and are apparently parents.
  • In what has to be in the running for quote of the year, a parent said the following at the board meeting "If these books, and exposing them to our high-school age students, are wonderful, why don't we or why doesn't the school invite Larry Flynt to put on an assembly or some type of seminar?"
  • I only have three words to say to that: Best. Assembly. Ever.
  • So just for the record this is Johnson County, KS, where people equate Slaughterhouse Five with the latest issue of Swank.
  • But I'd dig a Larry Flynt assembly. Teach kids what the first ammendment right really means. The key to freedom of speech is the freedom of all speech, regardless of whether you agree with it or not. This is one of my sore points, as I am a free speech advocate (really above any other political issue). If you take away people's right to state what they believe you are taking away their right to think and then any idea of freedom and democracy is no longer worth the paper it is written on.
  • Oh, and here is what I learned at work today. While taking my ethics compliance training (don't ask) I found out that my time spent at work is officially considered a company asset. Thus implying that for the last year and a half the very big phone company has owned me (literally) for a full one third of the time. Wow, and people wonder why I always seem so depressed.

No comments: