Sunday, February 20, 2005

Jeff Gordon sucks...

Well, I celebrated the beginning of the Nascar season the way I always celebrate the start of the Nascar season: passing out on the couch after staying up too late the night before drinking. I mean, how else are you supposed to prepare yourself for watching cars turn left for four hours. What’s worse is that I actually lost money on the race due to Michael Waltrip blowing an engine about three quarters of the way through the race. Yes, in the last month I’ve lost money on a coin toss and a Nascar race. That’s probably a danger sign, right?

(Oh, and I know that I neglected to write Thursday night about the fact that Duke lost to Virginia Tech. A school where only five people actually know how to play basketball. Honestly, I didn’t even know the score of the game when I did my post. Was at the Finn Brothers concert and came home just assuming that Duke had won the game. As you could expect, I was not a happy camper on Friday morning when I read the box score. Or saw the game on Instant Classic the next night. Oh well, they made up for it by beating Wake Forest tonight.)

Ok, I’m still a little short on ideas tonight so I’m just going to make a few more concert observations. The first one is from the Lyle Lovett show, where at one point the crowd attempted to clap along with the song. Now for most country music you clap on the two and the four. If it is James Brown you hit it on the ones but lets face it, that’s not Lyle’s style. The crowd of course was clapping on the ones, the two the three and a halves and some other beats that you would need to have a degree in advanced calculus to decipher. Yes, it is always fun to watch upper middle class white people try to keep a beat.

Saw Hank Williams III on Friday night. A good show from Hank, a guy who has seriously designed his career so as not to be famous. I may have told this story elsewhere but it is one that I enjoy. Ok, his granddad is the legendary Hank Williams, the original country singer and who is best known for his drinking and dying in the back of a car and not having anyone notice that he was dead for several hours. His dad (who he has barely met) is the guy who sang “Are you ready for some football?” Well, Hank III looks and sounds exactly like his grandfather. And acts like him, too. He’s a guy who grew up listening to punk rock in Texas and has this complete screw the world mentality, countered by the fact that he looks and sounds like this legendary figure. So he sings outlaw country that is mixed with punk and his shows start off as country shows and then turn more and more punk until it officially changes from a Hank III show to an Assjack show, as the band officially changes without anyone actually leaving the stage. Pretty cool.

Last point. Saw a commercial from Burger King today featuring the dude from Hootie and the Blowfish. Wow, if you ever wondered where fifteen minutes of fame will get you in ten years, well, here is your answer.

The five random CDs for the week:
1) Julie Delpy “Julie Delpy” (I swear, Excel randomly picked this one.)
2) Paul Burch and the WPA Ballclub “Blue Notes”
3) Caitlin Cary “I’m Staying Out”
4) U2 “Zooropa”
5) Gear Daddies “Can’t Have Nothing Nice”

No comments: