Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Taking care of business...

Quick notes:

  • Props to ND for knocking off Boston College tonight. Finally. It would have been a lot nicer if it was football season but I'll take a victory over BC any way that I can get it right about now.
  • That leaves Illinois as the only undefeated team left in college basketball. Wow, I really never expected to have the opportunity to write that sentence.
  • Congratulations to Freddy and Kendra for winning The Amazing Race. They were actually one of my favorite teams, they just seemed to be having fun and Kendra is cute as hell. Not sure how in the world Freddy ended up with her but hell of a job on his part.
  • The race ended in Chicago where the teams had to find a) the Water Tower (easy), b) Gino's East (easy) and c) Ping Tom Memorial Park (which I had never heard of until tonight). Cab drivers didn't know where this place was. I'm not sure anyone knows where it is. That is impressive.
  • The coolest part of the show was this, two teams racing to the finish for one million dollars and what happens? A team gets stopped by a freight train. Unless you've spent a lot of time in Chicago you don't know how common and annoying and heartbreaking the train tracks can be. That was an awesome ending.
  • Oh, and Aaron proposed to Hayden when they were eliminated. I think I was the only one on the entire Internet who liked Hayden. She just reminds me of a couple of old flames. Good looking enough that you are proud that you are dating her. Annoying and high maintenance to the point that you question whether it is worth the effort. At the end you figure the pluses offset the minuses and you live with it. Maybe this just says something about me.
  • Ok, I need to make a Public Service Announcement to the Bi-State area. Learn how to drive in the friggin snow you idiots! We got two inches of snow today and it crippled the city. If we were in Atlanta that would be acceptable but we're not so here are some helpful hints. 1) Buy a scraper and use it. That doesn't mean clean off a 2 inch by 2 inch section of your windshield, you clean all your windows, your lights, your hood and your roof. 2) Ok, you know how below drive on your transmission you have 3, 2 and 1 that you've never used. This is when you use it. This way you won't go spinning off the road. 3) Leaving work early during the blinding snowstorm so you can sit in traffic in a storm that ends at 5 is probably not a good idea. Just some helpful hints.
  • Oh, and on Super's comment on my not mentioning the Pixies in my recital of great Boston bands. I guess I have to say that I find Tanya Donnely and Juliana Hatfield more attractive than Kim Deal. Now Kelly Deal, that is a whole other story. And if we start talking about the time when The Breeders has Kim Deal, Kelly Deal and Tonya Donnely in the band at the same time we'll be here all night.
  • Whenever you want to wonder about how cool music was back when I was in college remember this: The Breeders song "Cannonball" was a legitimate hit. Listen to the song again one of these days and you'll be stunned that that song actually was considered a hit.

No comments: