Monday, February 21, 2005

Planet Simpson

Guess I’ll write about last night Simpsons episode. Not sure why I didn’t write about this last night, obviously it would have been a more fitting subject last night but if I am anything it is out of touch with my reading public. Anyway, some quick notes on the show and the current state of the Simpsons in general.

First of all, last night’s show was the much heralded gay marriage episode. Which Fox had to place a disclaimer and a parental warning in front of, because lord knows that we can’t have cartoon characters, who, technically, do not physically exist, talk freely about such a subject. And there was a big hubbub about which character was going to be revealed to have an alternative lifestyle and it turns out to be Marge’s sister Patty. To the surprise of pretty much no one.

(But is it me or was it odd that Smithers did not make an appearance throughout the entire episode?)

The episode had its moments. Can’t argue with Barney’s twelve steps to recovery or the surprise return of Blinky the three eyed fish. It’s just that the entire gay marriage bit seemed completely tacked on for no apparent reason, even if it did give Homer some great material to work with. They were able to get in their support for the idea, knocked the conservatives down a few pegs, and get some laughs out of the entire deal. Until the ending with the cross dressing golfer that seemed to be a complete cop out and waste of time.

My biggest problem is a problem that I have had with the Simpsons for the last year or so: it’s just not that funny anymore. I mean, it stopped being biting satire and the best show on television a couple of years back when Homer became Captain Wacky and the show plots started to center around how dumb he is. But it still was funnier than ninety percent of what was out there. Now it is barely registering as must see TV and I have been watching from the very first episode. I mean, I had more laughs watching a Family Guy rerun than watching the new Simpsons episode. And for social commentary Chapelle’s Show is a much more relevant show today.

It’s sad to see one of your favorite shows Jump the Shark but I’m pretty sure the Simpsons have done so. For ten years it was the most important and funniest show on television. It just doesn’t have that edge anymore. I hate to say it, but it might be time to let the show roll off into the sunset. Another show will carry the torch. Someone better, even with all the threats from the FCC, because without satire and without humor from the underground the world is a much less enjoyable place.

(Oh, and on a serious note. We'll miss you Hunter. Thanks for showing us that truth and fiction and art and news can be intertwined.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you seriously just use the term "jump the shark?" Wow. And I thought I was the only one who still knows about that.