Sunday, August 03, 2008

One by one my hair is turning gray...

This is going to be another short post tonight due to circumstances that are entirely within my control but that I just don't want to deal with at the moment. Or at least I think that this will be a short post; I never quite know how long these will be once I start writing. I will have to postpone the Best of 120 Minutes for a day as I am in no mood to surf YouTube at the moment. For those of you who need your fix, just search for Jeff Buckley. Thanks to Sony Music I cannot post a Jeff Buckley video. We now know who will be next in line behind Ticketmaster to go up against the wall when the revoultion comes.

Anyway, here is the question that has been bugging me since this morning. I looked in the mirror this morning and was rather surprised by what I saw. Now I'll have to admit that I am not someone who tends to look at themselves in the mirro with any kind of critical eye. Hell, I probably go months without looking at myself at all. There is probably some deep seated psychological reason behind this tied to my lack of self-esteem. More likely, I'm usually in a hurry and as long as my hair looks presentable and I don't have half a sandwich hanging from my face I feel as though I am good to go. Sadly, this morning my hair was no longer presentable.

I'm going gray.

I know I've joked about this before but really, today was the first time I noticed just how many flecks of gray there were in my hair. For the people who know me, has this gotten more noticable recently? Because it hit me like a shock today. I know that I've been under a lot of stress and that isn't helping but wow, this wasn't what I expected.

Well, I guess it is expected. I'm a month away from a momentous birthday and I've reached an age where my hair is going to lose some of its sheen. Thankfully I have a full head of hair and this should make me look distinguished and debonair as opposed to ancient and decrepit. But it is a sign that I am no longer a kid. I still view myself as though I was 16. I don't think that I've grown up emotionally since then. I might be able to land great jobs and be given loads of responsibility but at the end of the day I'm just a kid. Or at least that is all I ever want to be.

I guess I'll just start emulating George Clooney in every aspect of my life. He at least has the lifestyle I want and carries himself with that air of confidence that I so desire to have. I could do worse. And if I really start to go gray I am just going the Steve Martin route and going all gray and making it part of my schtick. Who knows, maybe middle age will suit me better.

No comments: