Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Lawn darts should also be a sport

Somehow my life has ended up at this point. I found myself watching women’s doubles ping pong in high definition this morning. Wasn’t even with the American team; it was the Chinese versus the Croatians. You start questioning what should be considered a sport when you see that. Sure it is not the same as what I played in the basement (the lack of the nerf paddles being the first sign) but one of the rules behind calling something a sport is that you should look cool doing it. The competitors looked a lot like people I meet at the Dungeons and Dragons conventions.

Another general commercial comment that I forgot about yesterday. Apparently restaurant customers are the dumbest people in the world given that they cannot recognize a Pizza Hut product. First they were confused by pasta, now they are fooled by a chocolate dessert and the worst French accent ever attempted. It’s nice that they show the people who are going “Wow, I’m so impressed” as opposed to the people who are spitting it on the floor and yelling, “Why the hell are you trying to serve me that crap?” I mean, how would you feel if you walked into a restaurant and instead of fine dining were served Pizza Hut?

For those wondering about the current status of my life it is kind of in limbo at the moment. Not in a bad way, just one of those corporate things that you have to go through. Background check, drug screens, all of those things that you have to do in order to start work. Once I get this done I’ll have a start date, once I have a start date I can find a place, once I find a place I can get the move planned, etc. However, as I don’t have the first step complete I am instead spending all day in front of the television watching the Olympics. Not a bad time to be in limbo when you think of it.

So right now I’m just kind of hanging out in life. I’m unemployed, really unemployed as my severance has run out, but since I have a job waiting for me it really isn’t that big of a deal. It is pretty amazing that right when I turn 35 I am going to move and turn my entire life upside down. That is pretty rare for someone outside of a mid-life crisis. I’m still not saying that a mid-life crisis is out of the question, I’m more than a little bit itching for one to happen. But I will have a blank slate in the near future, which I have to say is pretty enticing.

Wednesday Night Music Club: In a Ryan Adams mood tonight, just because I’m kind of feeling like a slacker screw up for having spent the entire day on the couch. Ryan could relate.

No comments: