Friday, August 15, 2008

Oh, and did you see Divorce Court?

You know you have spent too much time being unemployed when you find yourself glued to your couch watching a high speed car chase. CNN’s coverage of this guy in Houston kept me in my apartment for much of the afternoon. It is strangely mesmerizing. Much like Nascar, you are constantly waiting for the huge crash. In this case, the guy hit a set of spike strips, lost control, ran into a another car, jumped out of his car and then promptly went over the hood of a cop car that ran into him. Always interesting when you can hear the entire CNN newsroom go “ooh.” The guy didn’t seem to be hurt though, which is just amazing.

I also want to congratulate this great country of ours as our little girls proved superior at jumping up and down than other countries little girls. I’ll admit it, the reason that I am posting late is because I was watching the gymnastics final. Despite some really flaky judging at times the end result was correct. It’s been a pretty impressive run for the Americans so far. We are constantly medaling in the pool, doing well in gymnastics but not reaching our potential in badmitton or Team Handball. We’ll just have to work on that for 2012.

Here is my fun trivia story for the night. Going into the final question we were middle of the pack. We decided to bet it all as we had no other chance at winning. The question was this. As everyone knows, Isaac Hayes had a number one single with the Theme to Shaft. He only had one other number one hit and it was on the British charts. Name it?

After a quick consultation with my team we realized that we knew no other Isaac Hayes songs other than the theme to Shaft. In fact, the only one I could name was “Chocolate Salty Balls” from South Park. Since we had no other ideas, and since it seemed to be kind of funny, I put that down as the answer and handed it in.

That is, in fact, the correct answer. I kid you not. Chocolate Salty Balls hit number one on the British pop charts. Don’t ask me why or how that happened. I didn’t even know that it did happen. This might be a first in all of my games of trivia. We win by providing an answer that we thought was completely wrong. Sometimes luck just happens to be on your side.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Team handball is awesome. It's like all of the cool things about water polo without the water, stupid hats, and speedos.

On the other hand, I'm glad to see softball go. I'm surprised countries other than Canada and the US have enough players to field a team.