Sunday, March 06, 2005

Wrestling over tiny matters

I don’t have a coherent thought in my head right now. Ok, not like that is anything new but I just felt that it needed to be stated. On the plus side, I have a ton of random thoughts rattling around my brain so I figure that this is going to be one of those all over the board posts…

1) Had my windows open today, since it was in the seventies and I needed fresh air to counteract my latest cooking experiments. (Like most single guys, I’m not proud of the fact that anything that I cook tastes good. I’m proud of the fact that I can cook for myself and the majority of the time not burn down my apartment. Come on, I’ve only set off the smoke detector once in the past year). Anyway, I saw a warning sticker on the window that stated “Warning: Open windows may be hazardous.” You know, if you paid attention to the warning labels you would never leave the house.

2) When people ask me what my social circle is like, this story is going to come up. Went to see the North Mississippi All Stars on Friday night. So, who do I run into there? Someone from work? From church? From my apartment? No, of course not. I run into a bartender I know. I really have no idea what this says about me.

3) This was a crappy weekend for me basketball wise. Notre Dame lost, Duke blew a lead at North Carolina and Illinois lost its perfect season. For someone who does turn to sports when he is stressed out and takes comfort in his team winning this really was what I didn’t need right about now. On the other hand, Kansas lost so at least I have a little schadenfreude to fall back on.

4) Didn’t go out last night but that resulted in a very interesting discovery. For the first time probably since I moved here I was a) awake at 8 on a Sunday and b) not hungover. So, I decided to take advantage of the situation and go grocery shopping in a completely empty store. Probably because everyone else was either a) at church or b) hungover and in some cases c) both. I doubt that I’d be able to keep this schedule consistently but it is a nice thing to know.

5) To whoever posted the rather helpful comment on Saturday. A) It’s rather tough finding someone older than me at an Ani concert in Lawrence, B) I did actually meet several righteous babes at the show, C) it is quite possible that one was hitting on me, and D) if I had the skills to pick up a girl at an Ani show I’d probably be complaining a lot less about my life right now. But thanks for the comment, I really should have tried something.

6) Oh, and for those of you who have been having to deal with me in the real world, I probably owe a few apologies. I’ve been spending a little too much time in that dark place inside my soul, which leaves me sitting around bitching about my life and hating everything and never bothering to think about the fact that if you hate something it might be nice to try to do something to fix it for a change instead of complaining about it. So, I’ll be focusing on fixing things over the next few months, which should result in either some great revelations or some high comedy. At this point, I’ll take either transcendence or farce.

The five random CDs for the week
1) Zachary Richard “Women in the Room”
2) Chris Mills “Kiss It Goodbye”
3) Cowboy Junkies “One Soul Now” (So much for Excel’s random number generator. Third Cowboy Junkies disc in two weeks)
4) John Hiatt “The Best of John Hiatt”
5) Sarah McLachlan “Touch” (As always, thanks to the Canadian girlfriend for having me listen to this one on my commute. Sheesh.)

No comments: