Monday, March 14, 2005

Jager and Diet?

A lot of people wonder what my life is actually like on the weekends. Here are some fun stories, all of which are true.

Friday night I went out with a buddy of mine to Lawrence to see the guy who used to be in Archers of Loaf. Good show with some weird opening act that had a guy playing an accordion, a chick playing a tuba, and a drummer who played the trumpet. It was one of those bands that you watch and go, “I’m going to applaud these guys because I have no idea how you even get the inspiration to try something like this.” But had a really good time and it of course turned into a very late night for me.

So I decide to not set my alarm on Saturday morning and just sleep in. Or until 7:30 when I suddenly hear music. And someone talking over a loudspeaker that is apparently pointed directly at my apartment. Stumble to my window and wonder “Why are all these people walking past my apartment?” Apparently a 10 K had broken out outside without warning so I got to spend the hours I intended to sleep listening to random music and someone trying to encourage runners to move faster.

Incredibly, I actually accomplished some errands on Saturday afternoon and having watched enough basketball during the day, headed out to the bars. It was supposed to be a quick night, just a couple of drinks and then back home. I somehow ended up talking to this woman from Des Moines and before I knew it I was suddenly helping to close the bar. Ever have one of those bar conversations that last three hours and at the end of it you can’t remember a single bit? Or the girl’s name? It was one of those. All I remember is buying her a Jager and Diet (hey, she requested it.) Actually, props to anyone who can drink one of those and be in any way functional.

Which I certainly wasn’t on Sunday. My original plan was to take care of a lot of errands in my apartment while watching basketball. That soon changed to just watching basketball. Then to lying on my couch and watching basketball. And finally changed to lying on my couch, listening to the game and occasionally turning towards the television to ensure that I could still read the score. Yeah, Saturday night went a little longer than I anticipated. And as a result I’m writing this while doing laundry, which I could have done yesterday and still slept on my couch at the same time.

Ok, an update on yesterday’s post. As the comment stated, it is a pretty high price tag. Too high for my taste. I mean, that is the same price and with a laptop I’d get a warranty and I’d know the pre-loaded software and could probably test a floor model at the store. Not the case here. Wouldn’t even get a chance to see the potentials beforehand. Just seems to be a poor investment choice. True, the return on investment could be great in certain circumstances but the risk/reward equation seems to be off (wow, the b-school training is really paying off).

One other alternative on the idea of joining a conference is to finally get on emode/eharmony and put together my entry. Obviously I have no problem with sharing information on myself on the web (and a shout out to my readers in Singapore). The biggest challenges are a) my laziness and b) the fact that I don’t have a digital picture of myself where I am not either a) drinking or b) wearing a wrestling mask (long story). I’m not sure if it will be more effective but it would have to be more cost effective. Keep the ideas coming.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

a 10K broke out in front of your apartment? sweet. ideas off the top of my head...

(1) re-route the course
(2) throw onto the course a handful of... (a) marbles, or (b) thumbtacks
(3) stand on the side with a glass of vodka and hand it to a runner who thinks its water
(4) sneak into the race right before the end and act like you've won, then talk smack to the other runners about how long it took them to finish the race

Anonymous said...

forgot to wish you happy Pi Day yesterday. would have been better if I could have done so precisely at 1:59 AM (and 26 seconds if you want to go out to 7 decimals).

hey, the Mexicans get to celebrate 5/5, so why can't the math clubbers get to celebrate 3/14???