Tuesday, March 15, 2005

I missed Pi Day!

I can't believe that I forgot that yesterday was Pi day. It's 3.14 get it? And you're supposed to do a shot at 1:59:27. Look, math geeks don't have much to look forward to. Actually, we have nothing to look forward to. So give us this.

(During a high school math contest, I sat down with a buddy of mine and made up the math geek pick up lines. Here they are, fifteen years later

1) Hey baby, want to see my perpindicular bisector?
2) I bet I know where your critical points are.
3) Want to go back to my place and find our points of intersection?
4) Want to see my twelve inch slide rule?

Yeah, I didn't date much in high school)

Well, I bewared (bewore?) the Ides of March and it appears that I have made it through the day unscathed. Knock on wood, or at least the woodlike substance that this desk is made out of. This has been the epitome of a quiet day. Not much happening at work, all I did at home was finish my laundry and other than that I really don’t have much to write about. Which should make for a very interesting post.

I am continuing to see bad vanity plates throughout the metro region. The two latest offenders: THINK and MRWEIRD. While I appreciate the intent behind the first, I somehow have a feeling that your license plate is not the best place in the world to make your stand in a fight against ignorance. And the second one was on a mini-van, which is just frightening. At some point I’ll start writing about bumper stickers as well. Yes, four months into this project and I am already trolling the comedy depths.

Let’s face it, this is the week of lost productivity. You’ve got the first round of the NCAA tournament, which is everyone’s focus at work and causes me to take two days off. Add to that St. Patrick’s Day, which is a great celebration for a number of us. It’s a huge deal in KC, with the third largest parade in the country (a fact I still don’t quite believe), and you’ve got people gearing up for that. And it is springtime, with the weather finally warming up and no one wanting to spend hours in a cramped office when they can go outside without a coat for the first time in months. This would be a great time for the president to declare the week off so everybody could get their shit together (concept courtesy of The Onion).

Of course, I still have that interview matter hanging over me. I’m looking for ways to ditch it, more out of a fear that I would actually spend the money more than anything. It’s just that feeling that once you do something like this you are declaring for the world that you are desperate and I just don’t feel that way. Anxious, yes. In a hurry, definitely. But there is still some time on the clock and I figure that I could pass the ball around a little and still get off a good shot. Sure, I need to get the ball inbounds first but that is only a slight matter. (Yes, I really do think that everything can be explained using a sports metaphor)

That’s about it. Have a good Wednesday everyone. And knock ‘em dead Maggie.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Excelsior!" - Martin Prince

Anonymous said...

Oh, and being another 80's TV junkie I thought you'd also appreciate this...

Sledge Hammer Season 2 on DVD