Monday, March 28, 2005

Happy Dyngus Day

You know, there are lots of things that I miss about South Bend. Dyngus Day is one of them. I still have no idea about what it actually means but any excuse to drink on a Monday is good in my book. So for those of you who are still in the Bend, hope you’ve had a good one. Just a couple of random observations tonight.

1) Two more comments on the Illinois game. First of all, it is great to see that we have gained our official fan in Bill Murray. Still not sure if that matches up to Ashley Judd at Kentucky but it is a great start. Add in Hugh Hefner (who lived in the same dorm that I did) and we start to gain a respectable fan base. Second, I was certain that that game was going to mark the first time that fans stormed the court at a neutral site. Seriously, I would have been charging the court after the game.
2) One of the neat things about having 500 cable channels is that there appears to be channels dedicated to the narrowest segment. Such as G4 TV, the network for guys addicted to Playstation and Xbox. Or, in other words, me. I watch this channel way too much. Morgan Webb, the host of X Play, is rapidly climbing the Perfect Mate list. I don’t know, I just find a girl talking about playing Grand Theft Auto incredibly attractive.
3) I am still complaining about the lack of MTV Classic. VH1 Classic throws me a bone every once in a while. Last night I was stunned to come across the video for the Sundays “Here’s Where the Story Ends.” I knew that I wouldn’t be changing the channel for a good half hour after that. Please tell me how a channel that just featured reruns of 120 Minutes would not be attractive to advertisers.
4) I know that most people probably haven’t heard of the Sundays but search them out. They were just this great band out of England in the early 90’s that never really broke the way that they should have. I can guarantee that you have heard them, their cover of Wild Horses was used in Budweiser commercials for years. Trust me, find one of their old CDs, it is worth the effort. Harriet Wheeler has a voice that can’t be explained.
5) Completely different subject. I made the effort to go clothes shopping tonight but came up completely empty. Apparently, to find anything that will fit me I will either need to a) shrink or b) get fatter. I guess if you need to understand the current weight problem with America you only need to go to the mall.
6) Oh, and I want to explain my comment on the random CDs last night. I really like John Hiatt, its just that the same disc has come up twice in the past three weeks and the entire idea of the random discs is that they will be, well, random. I mean, I’ve got a ton of Beth Orton discs I would love to listen to but no, I have to listen to Sheryl Crow. I knew I should have sold that disc.
7) Oh, and a note for Super Dave. I’ve got tickets to see the Shins in May. Hanging out with the college kids at this show is going to rock.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude I still listen to Reading Writing and Arithmetic and Blind every so often. I never bought Static and Silence but I do have "Summertime" on mp3. Harriet Wheeler is crushworthy for her voice alone. She was actually pretty cute too before she had a kid. Throw in David Gavurin on guitar (who basically gets by on doing a great impression of Johnny Marr) and you have a very listenable CD. If you like The Sundays, pick up a copy of Marvin, The Album by Frente! if you can find one at a second-hand store or off of amazon marketplace.

Anonymous said...

Contrary to South Bend bartender lore, Dyngus Day is not polish solidarity day.

Smigus Dyngus * Easter Monday

Dyngus Day is a commemoration of the birth of Christianity in Poland (966 A.D.) in which Holy Baptism was administered to Prince Mieszko on Easter Monday, uniting all of Poland under the banner of Christianity. The Dyngus custom is also reminiscent of the mass Baptisms that took place in the Lithuania after the marriage of Polish Queen Jadwiga and Lithuanian Duke Jagiello.
Smigus Dyngus (shming-oos-ding-oos) This term now refers to the Easter Monday drenching custom, although once signified a kind of house-to-house Easter trick or treating that has survived only in a few rural areas. The merrymakers often pulled along a special cart with a live or wooden rooster and received treats and drinks from the households they visited. American Polonian descendants of the 1890s-1930s immigration often celebrate Dyngus Day with a polka dance.


For some reason Buffalo, NY and South Bend, IN are the self-proclaimed Dyngus Day capital(s) of the world.

"Solidarity Day" started in 1971 as the black community's response to Dyngus Day.