Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Damn you, Bono

Here is an example of what my music situation is like out here. I checked out the U2 tour schedule. They are playing like six dates in Chicago, back in the old homestead. In the fall they are doing a show in St. Louis. Where are they playing the night before? Omaha. Yes, Bono has decided that Omaha (Current tourism slogan: A Decade of Plumbing) is a better town to play than Kansas City. This is just another instance of Bono deciding to intentionally screw me over.

(Yes, I still blame Bono personally for costing me a date in college. And I’ve never forgiven the band for that. Well that, and the absolutely awful Pop album. It’s tough to regain any sense of respect after that monstrosity.)

Really not much on tap right now. I’m getting ready to head out for the night, as it is the night before night. I’ve got a four day weekend, thanks to the fact that I have to use up some vacation days before the end of the quarter. So I’ve decided to take the guy’s holidays (first days of the tournament and St. Patrick’s Day) and turn them into my vacation. It’s so fun to have people at work ask what are you planning to do and be perfectly honest in a response of “sleep, watch basketball and drink beer. I’ll probably never get in my car the next four days.” Heck, I used to take these days off when I was in high school and literally watch every minute of basketball. Those were the days.

Of course, I still have to do things like clean my apartment. At some point I’m just going to break down and outsource that function. I don’t mind doing laundry since that requires minimal effort. (I have an iron somewhere in my apartment but it takes too much effort to find, much less use). It’s the clean the counters, vacuum, through all the paperwork that has piled up over the past week into the guest room on the off chance that the filing fairy will appear in the middle of the night and take care of it for me, and all of those things that bore me to tears. It’s better than my grad school apartment, which I believe has since been condemned, but it still needs to work. Heck, I’m looking at outsourcing my social life, I might as well consider outsourcing all the other aspects as well. I’ll subcontract my job to someone if anyone is willing.

I’ll have a holiday and basketball update tomorrow. My Final Four is Illinois, Duke, U Conn and Wake Forest with Illinois over Duke (naturally). Go Illini. (Oh, if you’ve read the article about the lawsuit on the Chief mascot for Illinois I want to make one thing clear. They quote one of the claimants as being from the University of Illinois at Chicago who was upset by the mascot. The University of Illinois at Chicago is the Flames. They are not the University of Illinois. Never have been, never will be. Don’t even dare compare the two schools.)

No comments: