Thursday, March 03, 2005

More tv memories

Ok, quick comment on yesterday's post. If you really want to waste a portion of your day, check out www.ycdtotv.com the website dedicated to You Can't Do That on Television. There are times when I wonder if spending fifteen minutes or a half hour of my life writing about a tv show I watched as a kid is a good use of my time. Then I come across a site like this and I realize that they are people way more intense about this stuff than I am. I mean, I'm not chasing down former cast members for interviews.

Oh, and Alaistar did kick all kinds of ass. And I completely forgot about the water gag and the torture room sketches. Talk about a show that would have no chance of making it on the air today. But I would give so much money to have the old episodes on DVD. Whoever in Canada is sitting on the rights to these things has the ability to just print money. Come on, if you saw this at Best Buy wouldn't you buy it? I almost bought the full season of The Greatest American Hero and the most memorable thing about that show was the theme song.

(Believe it or not I'm walking on air. I never thought I could feel so free...)

Some people have figured out the easy windfall in the DVD market. They've started to release the ABC afternoon specials, which is jsut a brilliant move. And they've put out some of the cool old shows, like Mork and Mindy, which almost merit viewing (because man was Pam Dawber hot back during the day. This is one of those top 10 Gen X shows that Gen Y will never understand). I mean, I know it is just manufactured nostalgia but there is something cool about getting to revisit the shows of your youth. Even with my 400 channel cable system, I still don't get to watch all of the cool reruns. (Speaking of that, they've released What's Happening, which was also required channel 32 viewing as a kid).

Now what I really want them to release is Emergency, which I would watch every day in the summer since they showed it at 10 in the morning in Chicago. An hour drama on firefighters and ambulence crews. The show wasn't very good but man, anytime when you can guarantee a nine year old kid that he'd get to see fire trucks and hear alarms you knew it was going to be a good day. See, things really were better back in the day.

Have a good weekend everyone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm still pissed that you can't find the Thundercats nor Voltron on DVD as of yet.

You know you area Gen X kid if you can finish any of the following theme songs:

"Pinwheel, pinwheel, spinning around..."

"It's time to make the make up, it's time to light the lights, it
s time to get things started on the..."

"Dance your cares away, worries for another day, Let the music play..."






Go go gadget copter.