Monday, March 21, 2005

Way to go Damien

Just some random thoughts tonight…

1) Ok, for those of you who looked at the blog between Friday morning and Sunday night, an explanation is warranted. Between AOL, Blogger and the fact that I had spent much of the day in various bars I somehow posted the same thing four times in a row. Honestly, I only recall two of those postings so I am at a loss as to how it occurred. And since I don’t actually look at the blog very often I didn’t notice the problem until Sunday when I had to go in and delete the postings. I’ll try to post sober more often.

2) Yeah, my bracket is destroyed for the year. I think that I’ve picked Wake Forest to make the Final Four every year for the past decade and they just kill me every time. And I don’t even know why I picked Connecticut since I hate the school and the team. The good news is Illinois gets to play Bruce Pearl (who is directly responsible for Illinois basketball being on probation during my tenure there) and hopefully destroy him. Plus, Duke is still in it even though Sean Dockery is playing on crutches. Seriously, the dude tore his MCL and he’s back on the court. I have no idea how this team is doing it.

3) I was at Kelly’s for the Kansas game. It was nice to hear such a loud cheer when they lost to Bucknell. KU just played bad the entire game. Bucknell played strong but they were still very beatable. KU even got the best shot they could hope for at the end and still couldn’t put it away. I know, it’s schadenfreude but right now I’m going to take whatever I can get.

4) On a completely different note, I found out last week that Damien Rice is dating Renee Zelwigger. First off, congrats to Damien who pulled this off without even having a hit song to his name. Second, man, I really need to learn how to play the guitar. Apparently that is the missing link.

5) Here’s the highlight of my year so far. Was in my local record store on Friday afternoon just browsing around. Picked up a Henry Rollins spoken word DVD and was on my way to the register when I decided to flip through the used Country CD section. No idea why I did this, just decided to flip through. Get to the W’s and see a Kelly Willis disc. Well Traveled Love to be exact. Her debut album. Now, I’ve been listening to Kelly for going on seven years now. I’ve never seen a copy of this album. I’ve never even heard of anyone with a copy of it. Let’s just say I grabbed that thing as fast as I could. This is probably the only time I’ll ever feel justified in paying 25 bucks for a used CD. Now all I have to do is find this four song EP of hers that was only released in Texas and I will have everything she has ever recorded.

6) That’s not the only collection I’ve been completing as of late. I picked up Jonathan Carroll’s “Voice of our Shadow” last week. Well, not exactly picked up. More like I had it shipped to me from a bookstore in Sweden. See, Jonathan is one of my favorite writers but he is horribly unknown in the U.S. Which means I have to go to a number of the darker places on the InterWeb to find his stuff. He still writes the best first two thirds of a novel that I’ve ever seen. Can’t finish a story to save his life but man does he know how to start one.

No comments: