Thursday, March 24, 2005

Ending the week...

Lots of random thoughts to close out the week…

1) Got to wish a happy birthday to Allison Hannigan, who is probably somewhere around 14th on my perfect mate list. It is fun to discover that the band camp girl from American Pie is the same age as you are. It makes you feel a little younger knowing that there is still a possibility that you could portray a college student in a movie.

2) Props to Illinois on making the Elite 8. Did read something in Sports Illustrated today that upset me. They want refs to start calling technicals on guys who are popping their jerseys (which is when you grab the jersey and point to the school name). This might just be the sign that SI has lost all relevance. When I first saw Dee Brown do this I really began to like this Illinois team. It might be a taunt but it isn’t an “I’m better than you taunt.” It is “This is who we are, you better understand who you are dealing with here.” And as an Illinois fan, to see my team take the court with that swagger, to go out and say “We are Illinois and you better recognize”, man, does that make me feel proud. I have a hard time wanting to T someone up for being proud of his team.

3) I mean, follow the logic. Is the “We are ND” chant a horrible taunt? It is the same idea at the end of the day.

4) If you ever get the chance, check out Jack Ingram in concert. The guy is just a lot of fun to see live. Plus, he is just so happy to be on stage and actually making a living doing something he loves. He also gets to rip on pop country, which is awesome. You got to dig a guy who will go “I don’t know anyone who thinks a tractor is sexy” and finished his set with a defiant “My name is Jack Ingram and I play country music.” Just a great time.

5) Of course, the Grand Emporium is still charging me five bucks for a beer. I can’t imagine that there is anywhere on this planet that I should have to pay five bucks for a beer. Much less in a music club. They’ve got my cover charge, the bands here, there’s nothing to do but drink, and I actually drink less because of what they charge. And it’s the only place where I don’t tip, just out of principal. These guys have no business sense.

6) That’s it for the week. I’m basically brain dead right now. Ok, that’s not much different than the way I normally am but I’m really in need of a nap. Have a happy Easter everybody.

No comments: