Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Robot Chicken

To last night’s comment. One of the coolest CDs that I own is called “Saturday Morning Cartoon Classics”, which consists entirely of alternative rock bands playing cartoon theme songs. Like The Ramones doing the Spider Man song. Matthew Sweet singing Scooby Doo. Liz Phair singing the theme to the Banana Splits and becoming the only person on the planet to make the line, “Four bananas make a bunch and so do many more” sound incredibly erotic. And to top it all off is Frente singing “Open up your heart and let the sun shine in” from the Flintstones in a such an upbeat and happy manner that even a cynical bastard like me smiles. That’s what I miss about modern music, I don’t know where bands like Frente or the Sundays are anymore.

(Oh, and I still don't get the reason for Dyngus Day. But it sure has been fun to celebrate...)

Anyway, not much to write about tonight so I’m going to steal from a great show on the Cartoon Network called Robot Chicken. (You need to watch Adult Swim, its cartoons for stoners and those of us who decided to never grow up) The show is created by Seth Green, who shot up the coolness list by having his phone number listed in Paris Hilton’s hacked Sidekick. Actually, of all the numbers that I saw his was the one I was probably most likely to call. I mean, Lindsey Lohan would swear at you, hang up, and call the cops. Seth would probably just go “Dude, what’s up?”

Back on the subject, there were two inspired bits on Sunday night’s show (which is basically stop motion animation using action figures. It’s low grade production values but high grade writing). The first bit was where they revealed the surprise endings for movies to save you money. The Crying Game: It’s really a guy. The Village: yeah, we all saw that one coming from a mile away. But the next one beat them all

Luke Sywalker: “You killed my father.”
Darth Vader: “No Luke, I am your father.”
Luke: “That can’t be! That’s impossible.”
Darth: “And Princess Leia is your sister!”
Luke: “That’s… that’s really improbable.”
Darth: “And in a few years, the empire will be conquered by Ewoks.”
Luke: “That doesn’t make any sense at all…”
Darth: “And as a small child, I built C-3PO!”
Luke: “Are you just making stuff up now?”
Darth: “And the force? It’s all just a bunch of bacteria called mini-chlorians.”
Luke: “Look, you’re not even trying anymore.”

Then a few minutes later they had the greatest take off on Peanuts that I’ve ever seen. Let’s just say that it involved Linus invoking the Great Pumpkin, a murderous rampage, and ended with the line, “Meet the kite eating tree you sick son of a bitch.” If you ever wonder what a teen slasher movie would have been like if Snoopy would have been included, this would have been it. Ok, maybe it’s just a sign of my rather warped sense of humor but I found it hilarious.

That’s about it for a Tuesday night. Good to see that the brothers survived in the Amazing Race. They are way too fun of a team to watch to see them get eliminated this early. Not much else to write about so I’ll stop littering cyberspace with my musings for the night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Robot Chicken is awesome. Just stared watching it the other day.

Oh and best Saturday Morning Cartoon Classic: 3 is the Magic Number as done by Blind Melon