Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Tournament Breakdown: Part Two

On to the second half of the brackets starting with the South.

Duke vs. Arkansas – Pine Bluff: Sigh. I have now been a Duke fan for over twenty years. When I started off in the late 80’s I was cool, cheering for the unknown school that would always make the Final Four. Then I became the guy who was essentially cheering the Yankees or Microsoft. Now even I can’t stand the team or their fans. The past few years the word I’ve used to describe Duke basketball is annoying. I’ll take the teams when Chris Carrawell was the best player on the court over what they have now. They’ll win this game and probably make the final four, maybe even win everything, but I’m not really happy about it.

Cal vs. Louisville: No, I have no idea why it is Cal as opposed to California. Maybe it is just too cool to be called by its full name. You have a Pac 10 vs. Big East matchup here or a matchup between the worst and best conferences. In that situation, take the team from the better conference even if it is coached by Rick Pitino who I swear looks like he is about to start selling life insurance policies from the sideline.

Texas A&M vs. Utah State: The Aggies explode here in the first round. I understand the war of the Tigers in the Clemson – Mizzou matchup but seriously, how many Aggies are there to matchup in college basketball. Since by law I am required to pick one 5-12 upset I am going to go with Utah State here. No real reason other than, hell, I assume Texas A&M runs the wishbone even when playing basketball.

Purdue vs. Siena: Let’s run through our upset checklist here. 1) Favorite team recently suffered season ending injury to star player? Check. 2) Underdog does not have a single underclassmen in starting lineup? Check. 3) Underdog has a coach who has won tournament games before? Check. 4) Favorite team is in the Big Ten? Check. Go with the crowd and take Siena here.

Notre Dame vs. Old Dominion: Kim and I have four alma maters between us and Notre Dame is the only one to make the tournament. At least it is one that we share. As much as I like ND here and will obviously be picking them to win this matchup scares the hell out of me. Not for any technical reason (it’s not as if I’ve studied game film of Old Dominion) just that this just smells right for an upset. Notre Dame made a good run in the Big East and is playing well but still trying to figure out how to bring their best player off the bench following injury. ODU is one of those schools that always seems to pull upsets in the tournament. Never trust a small school from Virginia whose name makes it sound like a member of the Wu Tang Clan. I’m hoping we bring the good leprechaun for this game.

Baylor vs. Sam Houston State: Well, at least we’ll get rid of one of the Texas schools in the first round. Sam Houston State are the Bearkats: Part bear, part cat, and part student forced to retake remedial English. I’ll take Baylor because Mike Singletary went to Baylor and that is a good enough reason as any.

Richmond vs. Saint Mary’s: Oh what I would give for a Notre Dame – St. Mary’s matchup in the Sweet Sixteen. It would turn South Bend into an absolute war zone. Wait, you mean that this isn’t that St. Mary’s? That would be like there being another Holy Cross? I’ve loved Richmond for years as a kick ass upset pick. They always seem to get out of the first round no matter what they are ranked. Sorry Smickers, got to go with the Spiders on this one.

Villanova vs. Robert Morris: Robert Morris falls into that dangerous category of schools that could be mistaken for one guy. Always have to worry about those. On the other hand, Robert Morris also sounds like one of those schools that are advertised on television where you could major in appliance repair. (On that note, why the hell doesn’t the University of Phoenix have a better basketball team?) Anyway, as an almost Philadelphia resident I have to go with Villanova here. They’ll get out of the first round but I don’t see them going much farther than that.

Finally, over to the west.

Syracuse vs. Vermont: Ah, the classic Orange vs. Catamount rivalry. Yes, it’s Orange as opposed to Orangemen. They are now named after the color. Let’s face it, there isn’t much you can say about a 1 vs. 16 matchup other than making fun of the names. The 1 seed wins. Let’s just leave it at that.

Gonzaga vs. Florida State: On my list of least favorite schools Florida State ranks with, well, no one else at the top of my list. Even sans Bowden I still find them incredibly annoying. Gonzaga has made the switch from tournament darling to old standby rather quickly. I actually think that is rather cool given how it always seems to be the same teams in the mix every year. Can’t see any reason why Gonzaga does not win this one.

Butler vs. UTEP: I’ve probably known a half dozen people in my life who have attended Butler. Or maybe Drake. Unless it was possibly Grinnell. Life would be a lot easier if they just combined all of those small, Midwestern private schools into one. Unless UTEP morphs back into Texas Western I don’t see them having a chance in hell at winning this game.

Vanderbilt vs. Murray State: I can never trust Vandy’s record. They have a home court that it is best described as totally unfair. The benches are under the basket and the court is actually above the floor. You get a headache watching the games on television, much less playing in them. Still, they are better than Murray State, the school best known for requiring each student to graduate with at least six credit hours in dance.

Xavier vs. Minnesota: Here is where my Illini would have ended up if it wasn’t for Tubby Smith bribing the selection committee. Who the hell goes by the name Tubby anyway? He isn’t even that fat. Guys named Tubby should be at least 500 pounds. I’m really big on the Atlantic 10 this year and I can’t get behind the Gophers in any sport that does not involve skates so I’m with the Musketeers. Any team that is led by D’artagnan is good enough for me.

Pitt vs. Oakland: If I am correct this is the Michigan Oakland and not the Oakland Oakland. That should be a requirement to be listed in the team name as otherwise it gets really confusing. Hell, why they aren’t called Southeast Michigan is beyond me. Anyway, Pitt is another one of those teams that survived the war that was the Big East and there is no reason why they can’t continue their winning ways. Plus, losing would mean that they would be forced to return to Pittsbugh and that is more motivation than you could ever imagine.

BYU vs. Florida: Two fanbases who have everything in common here. Florida is led by Billy Donovan, a fat tub of lard who should have another doughnut while he is at it. Not that I am bitter about a few players of his (ahem…Teddy Dupuay) or anything. I like BYU here due to their veteran leadership that arises from having guys go on Mormon missions and thus return as 25 year old seniors.

Kansas State vs. North Texas: One of my old Kansas City stories is how I spent one night talking to this girl and completely hitting it off only to find out three hours later that she had a boyfriend who was a Kansas State alum. I’ve hated the school ever since. She wasn’t lying either; I spent the next five years running into the two of them all around town. Given that I now realize that was the universe’s way of keeping me available to have my whirlwind romance with Kim I guess I should try to reconsider my opinion of the school. Still can’t stand their color scheme or the fact that they hired Bob Huggins to coach them at one point and thought that was a good idea. But they are better than the Mean Green and will make the Sweet 16 at least.

Final Four: Kansas, Kentucky, Duke and Pitt
Championship Game: Kansas, Kentucky
Champion: Kansas

Now excuse me, I’m going to grab a case of beer and a couch for the next couple of days.

Wednesday Night Music Club: My random CD program brought up my favorite concept album this week, which combines my two favorite things: 90’s alternative rock and cartoon theme songs. I mean, you have Juliana Hatfield and Tanya Donnelly singing the theme to Josie and the Pussycats. Nothing in life could be better than that. And don’t ask me why Drew Barrymore is there because I don’t know.

No comments: