Sunday, March 14, 2010

Pi Day Parade!!!

I need to find out who I can complain to about the following. By having Daylight Savings Time start today I lost one hour of my favorite day of the year. I mean, who the hell steals one hour away from Pi Day? It is the most wonderful time of the year. There are so many days that could use one less hour, like any random Tuesday in February, but do you have to take it from Pi Day? That is one less hour spent drawing circles and it made my attempt at reciting the most digits of Pi on Pi Day completely moot.

(I’ll aim for the record in 2015. You know, because it will be 3/14/15….)

Yeah, I know that I missed a few more posts last week. Life took a few shots at me and I had to deal with those over writing. Actually, that isn’t really accurate. Kim was the one who had a string of bad luck including a hospital stay and while she is perfectly fine now and is tough as nails when it comes to anything health related I was a nervous wreck made worse by the long distance nature of our relationship. It is bad enough when someone you love is in the hospital; the fact that you can’t be there with them if even just to be there is really tough. I’m just glad that she is home safe and sound.

That said, I am getting sick of my lack of posting. I know that I’ve needed a bit of a break from writing, which is why I’ve taken some days off recently, but the fact is this blog is an outlet that I need to keep going. There is a reason why I’ve been doing this for over five years now; writing is my release. It keeps me from remaining stuck in the land of numbers as my job is basically one big spreadsheet. I get to keep up my dream of considering myself to be a professional writer (all I need to do is finally get someone to pay me for doing something that I gladly do for free.) And I get to find that my writing is being read by people across the world. But by not writing as often, and not as well, I’m not really achieving those goals.

So I am going to redouble my efforts at being creative once more. It’s not going to be easy as between work and real life my schedule has become jam packed but I know that I can do it. Plus, I just need a bit of a challenge right now. Increasing my readership is a fun one that I can measure. Expect to see a few changes to the format and a return of some old favorites. Time to make this space a must see attraction once again.

Best of 120 Minutes: Speaking of an old favorite I am returning to posting of music videos. Tonight I am going to feature someone who goes unacknowledged when we speak of Gen X and that is Dave Grohl, which is amazing because between Nirvana and Foo Fighters he may be the most successful rocker of my generation. Even more remarkable, I’ve never heard anyone offer any negative criticism to his music. The songs are just damn good and I’ll have to admit every time I fly I think of this video.



The five random CDs for the week:
1) The Mekons “Journey to the End of the Night”
2) The Frames “The Cost”
3) The Jayhawks “Hollywood Town Hall”
4) Drive By Truckers “Decoration Day”
5) Various Artists “Saturday Morning Cartoons Greatest Hits”

And, because I forgot to post it, the five random CDs for last week:
1) Jump, Little Children “The Early Years, Volume 1”
2) Cathy Richardson “Live at Park West”
3) Liz Phair “Juvenalia”
4) The Corn Sisters “The Other Women”
5) Nina Simone “Live at Village Gate”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have gone with the "Big Me" video. The whole Mentos theme is good, but Pat Smear's expressions are what make it even funnier. Speaking of whom, did you know that Pat Smear played with Nirvana on Unplugged? I never knew that until about a week ago.

Anonymous said...

True true about Dave Grohl. The video shows that he has a wicked sense of humor (and can make fun of himself) but add to that the fact that he does the whole Prince/Smashing Pumpkins thing where he plays all the instruments on his album...very cool. How many modern "musicians" (Avril, Britney, Jessica...I'm looking in your direction) can say that? He's the next to last of a dying breed of musicians...that is to say, he can actually call himself a musician. *sigh* I miss the 90's. If they still aired 120 minutes they could cover it in about 2 minutes.