Thursday, February 28, 2008

What to read...

I’ve been on a bit of a Nick Hornby kick as of late in terms of my reading habits. I just finished Slam, his latest novel. Sure, it’s technically a young adult novel, which makes the fact that it took me weeks to read the darn thing rather depressing, but it still made for a fun read. Also, I can’t complain about any book in which Rufus Wainwright plays a pivotal role. Right now I’m reading The Polysyllabic Spree, which is a collection of his essays where he discusses what books he bought and read every month. So I am reading a book about what books someone else has read. It’s kind of bizarre when you think about it but then again right now I’m hoping that people will read something I wrote about something I read.

What I’d rather touch upon is the fact that I go on these runs where all I do is read one author. If I find an author that I like I will quickly read every book he wrote. Or she wrote as I did spend one summer reading every Sarah Vowell book out there. I’m never sure if that is a good thing or not. I’ve ended up with a lot of books by a rather small number of authors. I’m still well read in the classical sense (especially for someone who never had a class above English 103) but I just get a sense that there are huge gaps in my base.

So, since it looks like I’ll have a great deal of free time on my hands in the coming months I’m looking for book suggestions. Pretty much anything and everything is fair game. I’d prefer fiction just because I’ve spent a lot of time reading non-fiction recently and I want a change. With many of my favorite authors being between books I need some ideas as to where to focus next. Humor is always appreciated, male versions of Bridget Jones are also acceptable as I’m just going to end up writing one of those books anyway but mainly I just want something that is different than what I usually would pick up. Make your suggestions in the comments.

As you can probably guess I’m pretty low on topics tonight. Mainly I’m looking forward to tomorrow as it only occurs once every four years. Well, tomorrow occurs more than once every four years. It happens every day as long as things go according to plan. But Leap Day is fun because it gives us one more day of February to enjoy. This is the best we can do with our calendar, occasionally we have to toss an extra day in there. Still better than in the 1700s when they actually eliminated a week and a half from the books. (True story: calendars were so off that ten days just disappeared.) It’s at times like this I feel like we should have gone to metric calendars. Would have made everything much simpler.

Or we could have just used the Mayan calendar. Sure it ends in 2012 but that’s not too big of a deal. It does make me question why everyone thinks the Mayans were such an advanced civilization. If they couldn’t come up with a calendar that didn’t crash at a certain date you have to wonder about their overall capabilities.

Oh well, enough for this week. Enjoy the weekend everyone.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you haven't already read these, I recommend:

John Irving - either 'Cider House Rules' or 'A Prayer for Owen Meany'

Mark Helprin - 'A Soldier of the Great War'

Ken Follet - 'Pillars of the Earth'. Yeah it was an Oprah book selection, but it is still an amazing book. It was amazing long before Oprah started telling everyone to read it.

-Troy

Anonymous said...

A varied list of good reads:

- Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore

- I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell by Tucker Max

- Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life by Steve Martin

- Marching Powder: A True Story of Friendship, Cocaine, and South America's Strangest Jail by by Thomas McFadden

- The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid: A Memoir by Bill Bryson

all unique and quirkey in their own right.. which is what makes them so refreshing.

Anonymous said...

almost forgot...

- The Man in My Basement : A Novel by Walter Mosley

Anything by Mosley tends to be a really good solid stories that are fund and easy to ready with underlying insights and depth.

Stephanie said...

CLASSICS:
"The Beautiful and the Damned" -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

"To Kill a Mocking Bird" -- Harper Lee

"The Grapes of Wrath" -- John Steinbeck

MODERN:
"The Road" -- Cormac McCarthy

"All the Pretty Horses" -- Cormac McCarthy

"The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay" -- Michael Chabon

"Lonesome Dove" -- Larry McMurtry

Anything by Neil Gaiman

Anything by Dennis Lehane, but especially "Gone Baby Gone" and its prequels

"The Corrections" -- Jonathan Franzen

MEMOIRS WITH FICTIONAL ELEMENTS
"A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" -- Dave Eggers

"A Million LIttle Pieces" -- James Frey

TRAVEL NARRATIVE
Anything by Bill Bryson
Anything by Eric Hansen

Foodie said...

If you haven't already read these guys, I would go for Paul Auster and Haruki Murakami. I don't like everything by Paul Auster, but Mr. Vertigo is one of my favorite books of all time and it is by him.
Haruki Murakami is my favorite author and I love just about everything he has written.
Natsume Soseki is another one. I'm just thinking of things in terms of reading everything an author wrote. I do that too and it makes sense to me. Banana Yoshima is another one - I like all of her novels. There is always Jane Austen. But if you decide to read all of her novels do me a favor and watch the movie, the Jane Austen book club first and then talk to me and we can start a book club and see what happens!!!