Sunday, February 10, 2008

Please make the love songs stop

Well it’s that time of year again. My least favorite week of the year when all of pop culture reminds me of the current status of my life. I’ll use the following exchange at trivia to prove my point.

Roland the Trivia Host: “Our first category is Movies with “Heart” in honor of Valentine’s Day.”
EC: “Boo!”
Roland the Trivia Host: “The next category is Flower Jumble, also in honor of Valentine’s Day.”
EC: “Boo!”
Roland the Trivia Host: “We also have It’s Cold…”
Keith the Trivia Opponent: “Which is in honor of Chris’ cold, black heart.”

So yeah, it’s Valentine’s Day again. And once again I find myself alone out in this wilderness. (Can I call it a wilderness? I don’t think I can even see a tree from my apartment?) This does make this week rather annoying as everything you see on television revolves around buying gifts for your loved one. It’s a week of sweetness and pinks and flowers and I have to counter it by listening to the Cure all freaking week. But, I think I may have come up with an experiment here that might make things more interesting.

Let’s Sadie Hawkins Day Valentine’s Day this year. Or more specifically, let’s just have me sit back and have someone ask me out for a change. If you’ve got a secret crush on me here’s your chance. If you know someone who has a secret crush on me that will work as well. Hell, if you are just looking for a free meal I’ve got a gift card to Outback Steakhouse that I need to use so this could be your lucky day. (Yes, I will pay for our date with a gift card. That is just how I roll.) Is this a sad and rather pathetic act on my part? Well, yeah, of course but it’s either this or go and heckle people at the Air Supply concert. This could turn out to be slightly more interesting.

Of course, there is the possibility that no one will respond but I’ll just take that as one big rejection. That’s better in a way. It’s like tearing off one big band aid instead of one hundred little ones. Might as well get the suffering over with as soon as possible. Plus, if there is one thing I am used to in this life it is rejection. I think if someone agreed to go out with me my reaction would be “Seriously?”

That said, I am not in that bitter a mood, at least not yet. I watched Once this evening and could conceivably spend the rest of the week watching Before Sunrise, Before Sunset and 2 Days in Paris. Watching Julie Delpy films over and over again does make life bearable.

Best of 120 Minutes: I was trying to think of a song I would have used on mix tapes in college but couldn’t think of a good one. Then I remembered that I fell for a girl because she gave me a Blake Babies CD. That’s what it was like in the early 90’s. I miss those days.



The five random CDs of the week:
1) Matt Nathanson “At the Point”
2) Lyle Lovett “It’s Not Big, It’s Large”
3) Cowboy Mouth “All You Need is Live”
4) Richard Buckner “S/T”
5) Pearl Jam “Vitalogy”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I won't be in KC for the BIG DAY, or I would probably participate in this experiement. I'm on the other end of your predicament...sitting back and waiting for people to ask me out hasn't fared me particularly well in quantity or quality. It's time I went the more proactive route to companionship.
But I can't imagine any chain store steak dinner being more fun than heckling Air Supply. That's what I would be asking for in lieu of steak.

Amy