Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Leadership Secrets of Lando



I have no real reason for posting the above pictures other than they are wicked awesome. It’s the type of model that I would like to have in my apartment. Admittedly, it would explain why no one ever visits my apartment but I’d appreciate it.

(For as advanced a technology base that the Empire had cultivated they sure had some odd design ideas. Let’s build a really big tank and put it on top of really skinny legs thus making it incredibly vulnerable to tipping over if it happened to hit a rope. Oh, and how about building armor that is able to resist laser blasts by can be crushed by swinging logs. And let’s be sure that are fighter craft have really big wings to provide the enemy with a really nice target. When you look at it that way it’s no wonder that they left the exhaust port unshielded.)

Looks like I still need to increase my Valentine’s Day offer. Yesterday I promised the lucky lady a bloomin onion followed by the shake of her choice accompanied of course by my insight into how the Death Star’s trash compactor design is woefully inefficient. Tonight I will make it a true dinner and a movie opportunity. The movie will be Meet the Spartans. It’s like Airplane if Airplane was about 300 and not at all funny. If for some reason that movie is sold out we will then try to find a showing of The Hottie and the Nottie as Paris Hilton really needs our support. In that case it will be an intimate night at the movies as we will be the only people in the theater.

(Seriously, that’s the name of the latest Paris Hilton film that opened this week. Richard Roeper did the math on the box office receipts and figured out that on average there were three people in the theater at any one time. Everyone got on My Beloved Lindsay’s “I Know Who Killed Me” but at least people went to see it. Sure, my ten viewings bulked up the numbers but there were other people in the theater at least.)

(Anyway, that’s the latest offer. Will someone take me up on it? Will I have to increase the stakes tomorrow? Or am I going to have to settle for playing trivia on Valentine’s Day? You make the call.)

Back to the Paris Hilton thing. That, along with the fact that there is a film starring Larry the Cable Guy and Jenny McCarthy about to come out, really has me thinking. Given that I am looking at having free time on my hands for the first time, well, ever I really might take a go at writing a script. Sure, if I can weasel a month or two of free time my focus will be on the novel first (that and getting a job but a novel will be more fun) but writing a movie script can’t be too difficult. Just look at the crap that is being made right now. I sure as hell could write something better than that.

For those who are wondering about the novel (as I may have picked up some new readers) here is the base outline for “Until We Say Goodbye”. It’s vaguely a retelling of my early 30’s involving a guy (named Brian because my male leads are always named Brian) who is too smart for his own good with an unnerving tendency to spend much of his time at the end of a bar. His group of friends, lovingly referred to as “the rejects from the island of misfit toys” decide that what he needs is an image change to improve his luck. Through a series of events Brian ends up dating a singer he has been mad about from a distance for years. Can Brian win the girl? What about the job that is slowly killing his soul? What happens when the quarter life crisis becomes a mid-life crisis? Perfect world this will be a mix of High Fidelity and Office Space. Worst case, it’s Bridget Jones Diary with fart jokes. Win either way.

No comments: