Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Turning the Wayback Machine to 1996

News Headline: President of Iran challenges Bush to a debate
EC’s immediate reaction: That’s a pretty fair fight given that English isn’t the first language for either of them.

(This coming from a guy who today could not correctly say the word “qualitative” in a presentation. Probably because I subconsciously believe that qualitative results are meaningless when compared to quantitative ones.)

Brought home another trivia victory tonight, thanks to my immense knowledge of the show Survivor. Seriously, it was a category. I knew that project in business school where I predicted the outcome of the show using statistical analysis would come in handy some day. Other than knowing that by mentioning it to people I know that I can freak them out to the point that they back away from me very slowly. Oh, and I was also able to identify a quote from the movie Baseketball, a film that I have to admit that I own on DVD. Yeah, sometimes I wonder what people who stumble across this blog think of me as a person when I admit these things. Then I move on to happier thoughts…

Like my perfect mate list. Now, I haven’t built the latest one, which I’ll try to do over the weekend as it may turn into a multimedia showcase. But I figure that this is a good time to stroll down memory lane and see who I thought was the epitome of the person I’d want to spend the rest of my life with in 1996. (And this was a legit list that I emailed out to friends that February)

#1: Emma Thompson
#2: Jennifer Jason Leigh
#3: Sarah McLachlan
#4: Meg Ryan
#5: Julie Delpy
#6: Juliette Binoche
#7: Tori Amos
#8: Tea Leoni
#9: Kat from Real World: London
#10: Liz Phair

So were they the right call looking at the list ten years later? For the most part, I’d have to say yes. Emma Thompson is still super cool, though as I wrote in the blog in December 2004, somehow I feel that she is now too old for me, which makes absolutely no sense. I would either be blissfully wed to Jennifer Jason Leigh or in therapy, she’s probably too intense for me. This was a pre-Lillith Fair Sarah McLachlan and maybe I’d be able to convince her to make music that doesn’t suck. Meg Ryan, yeah I dodged a bullet on that one. Julie Delpy will be discussed in even more detail in the coming days because, not surprisingly, she is still on the list. (But will she still be #1?)

For the others, nothing that I would be too upset about, though there are a few cases where I wish their careers hadn’t gone down the tubes. Tori Amos and Liz Phair haven’t done anything useful in the new century. But all in all, I could live with most of these choices.

Tomorrow, the 2004 list and my fantasy football picks. Because apparently all aspects of my life are fantasy related.

No comments: