Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Bonus points for originality...

Hitting to all fields like Jim Thome tonight…

1) Would like to announce that Cobra Kai, the most feared team in the history of fantasy football, will be drafting second this year. This is pretty much where I wanted to be as I should be able to choose between Shaun Alexander and LaDanian Tomlison as my main running back and then whoever is left as my number two back. I would like to see Reggie Bush fall down to my second round slot but I don’t see that happening. At least my draft strategy should be a little easier to prepare this year as opposed to last year’s “Draft Peyton and every other Colt up to including Ben Utecht” gameplan.

2) Oh, and of course the team motto is “Strike First, Strike Hard, No Mercy”. What else could it be other than maybe “You’re the best around.”

3) Ok, my friends at Deadspin.com (who make my workday bearable to the point where they are leading the “website most likely to get me fired” pool) posted the following story from the University of Kansas. Apparently a guy has tried out and made the Jayhawk dance squad. Seriously, go to the site as they have this great picture of him uh, training with the team. I am really torn from this story. While I can barely accept the concept of male cheerleaders (mainly because they are all built like trucks and serious athletes) a guy on the dance team just seems totally wrong. On the other hand, this might be the most brilliant move that a freshman guy has ever made to meet hot girls on campus. It’s like “Yeah, I’ll probably get the crap kicked out of me for this but it’ll actually be my job to be with the dance squad.” I can guarantee you this guy ran the plus/delta excel spreadsheet and said “Dance team wins over joining a fraternity.” I’ll put it to a vote, is this brilliant or deranged or both?

4) Personally, I feel if you are going all out you should try the www.settleforbrian.com approach. You got to like a guy who not only admits that “Hey let’s be honest, I’m not Brad Pitt” but then goes ahead and lists three pages of pros and cons for dating him. That is a level of self-inventory that is even beyond me. And you know what, I can guarantee that this works.

5) That’s what I need, a catchy slogan! Ok, a free CD to anyone who comes up with a tag line or a catchphrase for me. Yeah, I know that I’m in marketing and should do this myself but I can’t be creative when I’m off the clock.

6) The other news story of the day that I want to mention is that Nasa has lost the original tape of the moon landing. Not that big of a deal since they could just drive out to Arizona and refilm it. I’ve often said that my dream job is working for Nasa. It’s just something that a kid who grew up reading about space travel and becoming an engineer just has hard wired into his DNA. But this along with the fact that they also lost the blueprints to the Saturn V rocket makes me realize that maybe I made the right choice all along.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd have to say that Settleforbrian.com could end up biting him in the ass. I'm not sure I'm a big fan of the attitude behind it all. If women can smell lack of confidence then this idea has to smell like last week's garbage. Furthermore, if that's the path he takes he really can't expect anything other than, "OK Brian, I'll settle for you, now you settle for me. My name is Mary, I'm 45, overweight, have 4 cats and I refer to Wednedsays and Saturdays as 'showerdays'."

So maybe brilliant but potentially dangerous.