Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Feeling dumber by the minute...

I am just so bloody pissed right now. Lost at trivia and didn’t win money for the first time ever at the Flea Market. I just could not get it going tonight, missing questions that I should certainly have known. I mean, I actually missed an “Identify the wrestler by the picture” question and that is just plain embarrassing. Sure, it was a forty year old picture of “Classie” Freddie Blassie but I still should have known that. Man, I hate losing…

It doesn’t help that as part of my renewed weight loss kick I have reinstituted the dreaded beer limit. Yes, I now have a beer quota of only so many a week (the number is a mystery known only to myself). What that means is I have to drink less on a Wednesday, otherwise by Saturday night I won’t be able to go out. Apparently, trivia is a lot less fun when you are sober. Sure my recall might be a little better but overall the experience just isn’t as good.

(I missed a freaking wrestling question? That’s twenty five years of my life spent studying that and I missed it? I can accept that I couldn’t identify a spoken lyric from Radiohead’s “Creep” but a wrestling question? Maybe I am succumbing to old age.)

Ok, the following bit was meant to go into the liner notes of the CD but sadly, I couldn’t figure out how to make an Iguanas song fit on the disc. But, this is a great story that I kind of feel like sharing this week. Not too many people know of the Iguanas, who are this great New Orleans band that features a dual saxophone attack. But you do know of one famous event that happened at an Iguanas show. It was with the Iguanas playing at Café Brasil in the French Quarter that Lyle Lovett got Julia Roberts to fall in love with him. That’s how freaking cool the band is.

Of course, when I took a girl to see the band earlier this year it resulted in her basically not wanting to have anything to do with me again. I really don’t want to analyze what that might mean, other than a biker bar in the middle of a train yard just doesn’t have the same flavor as a night in the quarter.

Yeah, I know, I know, I’m in this weird self loathing mood right now that isn’t good for anyone, especially myself. It bums me out and I actually had to stop working on the liner notes because I looked at what I was writing and realized a) this is crap and b) you know, your life really isn’t that bad. It’s just that I’m getting that feeling once again that life is passing me by and I’m about nine days away from waking up and discovering that I missed all the important bits. Maybe it’s because my birthday is in a month and my fifteen year high school reunion is in two but I’m really trying to figure out just what is going on. Sometimes you just need to go off and have a good ponder and maybe that is something I need to schedule very soon.

(Oh yeah, and I missed another one on what is the top selling ringtone in the world right now. As you can tell, my head really is in another place.)

No comments: