Wednesday, August 02, 2006

If I only had a beer....

I got some great news this morning that did not involve a small reptile discussing my deductible. It appears that the scarecrows have finally seen the wizard. Let me explain. The Kansas primary was last night and the residents of the great state of Kansas (or scarecrows as I call them, in what might be the most derogatory term I have ever invented) finally decided to elect a school board that actually believes in evolution. This should hopefully mean that intelligent design will no longer be taught in the schools and kids will get to grow up and become scientists without being ostracized in the process. Well, I mean outside of the fact that you are automatically going to be ostracized because you are spending all of your time studying math and science while your friends are taking bowling. It just kind of comes with the territory, like the requirement that you must wear glasses and memorize all the characters in Star Wars.

(By the way, I was watching a show this evening and they actually asked, “Which would win in a fight, a Star Destroyer or the Enterprise? Dude, talk about a no contest. A Star Destroyer would so kick the Enterprise’s ass. Oh no, here comes a photon torpedo. I’ll spot the Enterprise Kirk, Picard and Sam Beckett and they’ll still get beat.)

(Yeah, and sometimes I wonder why my social life is the way it is…)

A little more on the Notre Dame thread, which I should probably write in an email but I need to fill up space in the blog. Notre Dame buying up property on the south side of campus is really there only logical next step. It’s the one direction that they can grow in and as they want to improve the quality of the school they simply need more land. Turning that area into a campus town would create a lot of benefits. More housing off-campus would reduce the number of people in the halls and allow them to increase enrollment. An actual campus town would mean that the school would actually have a campus town, which is something that is completely missing right now. I know that the idea was that everything is already contained on the campus but that is not entirely a good thing. You need a Mass. Street equivalent to give the place an additional vibe.

But in what might be the strangest one for me to mention is I bet the school wants to buy the property just to make that side of campus look nicer. It’s why they moved the road just so they could build this more elegant entrance to the school. And I love the Backer and if I rank the top ten moments of my life a good half dozen took place there but it is not a good looking building. It’s not the impression you want to put in people’s mind when they visit the campus. And in a world where perception is reality that really means a lot.

Before we all get teary eyed over the possibility of our favorite bar going way just remember the one thing we should all have realized, it is the people and not the place that is important. It wasn’t the Backer per se that was important because let’s face it, it’s a dive bar and I still don’t trust Long Island Ice Teas that are pre-made in Gatorade buckets. What mattered is that I knew I could walk into there on a Wednesday night and run into a dozen of my friends, all of whom just wanted to hang out and have a good time. My memories aren’t tied to any physical part of the place (well, other than the trivia machine) but I’ll always remember the people I was with when I was there.

No comments: