Thursday, August 31, 2006

Strike First, Strike Hard, No Mercy


(Editor’s Note: Slight holdup on the Perfect Mate list, mainly because I realized that there is going to be a lot of overlap between the 2004 and 2006 lists. And I hated what I wrote last night so I’m going to go back and redo my comments on the 1996 list. I’ll probably post it on Saturday.)

Anyway, today marked my Fantasy Football draft and thus the unveiling of the 2006 lineup for Cobra Kai. (By the way, is there a cooler picture in existence? This is why I am the proud owner of a Cobra Kai t-shirt). Here are my picks, drafting 2nd in a 12 team league with your standard snake draft and no TE requirement

#1: Shaun Alexander RB Seattle
#2: Julius Jones RB Dallas
#3: Larry Fitzgerald WR Arizona
#4: Chester Taylor RB Minnesota
#5: Joey Galloway WR Tampa Bay
#6: Terry Glenn WR Dallas
#7: Marc Bulger QB St. Louis
#8: Reggie Brown WR Philadelphia
#9: Seattle Defense/Special Teams
#10: Eric Moulds WR Houston
#11: Trent Green QB Kansas City
#12: Duce Staley RB Pittsburgh
#13: Jeff Reed K Pittsburgh

Team Breakdown: I think I have a killer group of running backs. Shaun Alexander was an easy pick and I had him as the number one back overall. Julius Jones is an injury risk but he can put up big numbers and fulfills my requirement of having one Notre Dame player on my roster. I think that Chester Taylor was a complete steal in the fourth round (especially given one guy’s mistake of taking Dominick Davis in the second round). With those three guys I should be able to field good teams and have some trade options.

I think that I’m okay at receiver though I’m nervous. I had a choice between Fitzgerald, Owens and Randy Moss and I took Fitzgerald because I had the least number of concerns about him. That was either a great pick or a horrible one. Galloway and Glenn should give me decent numbers week in and week out but neither will win a game for me. Brown and Moulds were picked in the “Well, they’ll have to throw to somebody” principle. This is my first year where I am really concerned about my receiving corps. I have good depth, it’s just that I feel like I have four #3 receivers.

Don’t ask me how Marc Bulger lasted until the seventh round. I know that there are still some injury concerns but as the last guy to take a quarterback I’m more than happy that he was still around. I broke one of my rules of never taking a Kansas City player by taking Trent Green but it was either him or Favre at that point and my hatred for the Packers overrides my dislike of the Chiefs. I was one pick away from getting the Steelers defense and ended up with Seattle, which was ok but not what I was hoping for. Jeff Reed is a kicker and really what else is there to say about him.

Overall, I like my lineup. It was a strange draft with one guy picking up Davis and Koren Robinson and another guy drafting 3 wide receivers and then 5 running backs to start the draft. Not what you would call the standard strategy. But I think that I’ll have a chance this year.

No comments: