Thursday, March 16, 2006

The president and the pop star

Can’t believe that I forgot to mention this in my list of reasons why I’ll be cheering for Bradley over Kansas tomorrow night. Bradley’s coach is Jim Les, former winner of the award for “Best college player under six feet tall” (it’s an actual award), who through some very confusing situations I’m related to by marriage. It involves second cousins and well, it’s not like I expect Christmas cards from him or anything. But you’ve got to support the family even if it means that I will effectively be challenging a couple hundred people to a fight tomorrow night.

Done pretty well in my picks so far. Picked Wisconsin-Milwaukee over Oklahoma because of my firm belief that the Big 12 will always lose and you always have to fear those Wisconsin something schools since they always seem to be tough. Gonzaga just squeaked through, which makes my Final Four selection look really dumb. Illinois won nicely with some great play from the bench, which gives me hope for the next round. But there is something that puzzles me. Illinois beat Air Force and I was rather surprised to find that Air Force has cheerleaders. Now, let’s assume that they are Air Force students. So, you’ve decided to go to a military academy and dedicate a portion of your life to the armed services, which is honorable in more ways than I can describe. Plus, a female cadet goes into the process knowing that it is going to be an even bigger challenge. What I want to know is how do they find someone who goes, “You know, I want to serve my country but I really don’t want to give up being a cheerleader.” It seems like the oddest combination of desires possible.

There was one news story that hit the wire today that I want to talk about just for its sheer bizarreness. Apparently Jessica Simpson has turned down an opportunity to meet with President Bush. Yes, I know that that sentence makes absolutely no sense so I’ll have to explain. Jessica supports Operation Smile, this charity that provides reconstructive plastic surgery for children in need. It is a really good cause and one of my favorite celebs Mick Foley (also known as the hardcore legend of wrestling, Cactus Jack) has done a lot of work for them. It seems that Jessica was invited to a Republican dinner where she would have a chance to meet with the president and talk up her charity. She refused stating that she didn’t want to politicize it, which struck a lot of people as odd since as someone said, “It’s not like Bono turns down an opportunity to meet with a politician.”

There are two frightening things to this story. The first is that Jessica Simpson is apparently showing signs of being capable of logical thinking. This is a very dangerous development as it is only a matter of time before she begins to understand the concept of fire and then civilization as we know it will be at risk. The other is the fact that the president was preparing to meet with Jessica Simpson. Ok, let’s look at what is going on right now. We’re at war. We’ve been at war for three years now starting tomorrow. We will still be at war for the foreseeable future. The Gulf states are in shambles due to hurricanes. Our civil liberties are under attack. Global warming is threatening the world at a rate that makes me truly believe that the world may suffer catastrophic damage within my lifetime. So what does the leader of the free world decide to do? Meet with Jessica Simpson. That’s it, I’m moving to Australia.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The answer to your AFA cheerleader dilema is that participation in a sport...any sport, makes life in at a service academy far more tolerable. When you consider that fourth class students (freshmen) are not allowed to travel at all, and will spend their first collegiate summer in a cage (literally in a cage once they are captured during their escape and evasion training) it makes even cheerleading seem appealing. I'm sure Czar would agree with me that the only thing worse than academy discipline is having your wife call the Backer at 2am and tell you you were supposed to be back on base an hour ago.
PS-Did I ever tell you my cousin was Double E at the Air Force Academy? I think that was the final ring of Dante's inferno.