Monday, March 06, 2006

Buying fame...

Lots of topics tonight, several of which I’ve been waiting a week to fully discuss. Here they go…

1) Saw a news article last week that Bjorn Borg is going to be auctioning off his Wimbledon trophies. See, this is why I wish I won Powerball because I would be all over this in a heartbeat. I wouldn’t do anything special with them, you would just be walking around my apartment and randomly run into a Wimbledon trophy. They would be the ultimate conversation starter. “Wait a minute, you won Wimbledon?” “Yeah, that was one great July.”

2) As Super will point out, the reason Borg has to sell off his trophies was because he made some horrible financial decisions and ended up going bankrupt. One of those financial decisions was to create his own fashion line. Now, this may just be my MBA talking, but when your most memorable fashion decision is wearing a headband odds are fashion design is not your preferred entrepreneurial avenue. That said, whichever Wilson brother borrowed the look for The Royal Tennenbaums looked stylish in doing so.

3) As I had hoped, the Sex Pistols have declined to appear at their own Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction basically calling it a bunch of crap. Which is a pretty good description of the monstrosity in Cleveland, all they’ve done is honor a bunch of people that the editors of Rolling Stone like and no one has ever considered Rolling Stone to be the home of critical expertise. Plus, this gives back to the Pistols a little bit more of their punk cred that they lost when they went on the Filthy Lucre tour. Actually, selling out and admitting that you’ve sold out and even declaring it in the title of your tour is a rather punk rock thing to do.

4) Went to see The Iguanas on Saturday night in what can be conservatively called a biker bar. It was a very odd feeling, I was seeing a band I’ve watched for a decade and I felt really out of place. Let’s just say that I wasn’t in the target demographic. Anyway, talked to one of the guys in the band between sets and he saw that I was wearing one of my old Jazz Fest shirts and he asked if I was coming down this year. Actually he went, “We need you down here, man.” That pretty much settles whether it is time for me to head down there for a visit or not, when the bands I like are saying you need to be here I’ll listen.

5) Ok, Ted let Victoria go? Dude, my life just took another turn for the worse. Or at least the televised version of my life. I really think that this is a case where they wrote the episodes without knowing just how well a character would turn out because she was just a great addition to the show. But with her there then Robin really doesn’t have anything to do except be upset and since she’s still in the title credits we have to get Ted and Robin together eventually. Still, I can’t remember a sitcom that had me this engrossed before, including wondering whether I should go and pick up a four thousand dollar suit. I want to know what that type of suit does for you, it should like, come with its own laptop or something.

6) Last note, I have to give a huge congrats to the favored band of Battling the Current: The Frames. For those of you who have Battling the Current Volume 1, these are the guys with the blistering live version of God Bless Mom. Anyway, in the latest issue of Esquire they were declared “Best Import” with the following statement “Your first Frames record might just restore your faith in music; virtually every tune across five albums sounds not just anthemic but important. They deserve to be your new favorite band. Guaranteed.” Seriously, these guys are so worth a listen.

No comments: