Monday, March 27, 2006

Monday night ramblings...

It’s list time…

1) Austin City Limits this weekend was a rerun of the Damien Rice set. That is a good thing since you can’t get enough Damien Rice (or Lisa Hannigan for that matter) in your life. That led me to check out his website to find out that he is coming back to the states this summer to tour. This is really good news since he is on the shortlist of artists that I want to tour the country with. There is a slight problem, though. He’s touring with Fiona Apple. So, I could still road trip around the country catching Damien’s sets but a) he’s probably going to be the opening act and b) I would subject myself to a week’s worth of Fiona Apple sets. If life is anything, it is a tradeoff.

2) Staying in the Irish musician mode, this is something that I wanted to write about around St. Patrick’s Day but never got a chance to do so. I read somewhere that Glen, the lead singer of The Frames, was in the movie The Commitments portraying the lead guitarist of the band. Well, on St. Pat’s Day while flipping between basketball games I came across the film and yep, he’s in it, with a continued look of stunned disbelief about him. That fits the character and was probably easy to do since he’s not an actor and was probably going “How the hell did this happen again?” I’m going to have to get the film because of this (well, that and it is a great flick based off of Roddy Doyle’s brilliant novel). Add that to the fact that I’m ordering CDs of theirs off of Amazon UK to complete my collection and you can see that I am really into this band.

3) Request for guidance: I have a DVD issue at the present time. As in I have more DVDs than I have space in the media cabinet I bought three years ago for them. This means that a number of them (ok, specifically the wrestling DVDs) are hid in a storage container. While that is an acceptable current situation at some point I need to find a better way to display them. The thing is, looking around I can’t find any good looking DVD stands. The best one I saw was at The Sharper Image, but since it is from The Sharper Image it is needlessly complicated and expensive. Any ideas? Yes, I know I could just store the discs in a binder but this is me here, the entire reason I buy these things is to display them.

4) If I remember correctly, I have been filling out NCAA brackets since sixth grade. I’ve won twice and paid out a couple of other times so historically I am still ahead of the game. However, this year goes down as my worst year ever. This is the first time that I’ve never correctly predicted a team in the Final Four. Heck, I only got two of the elite eight right. I’m something like sixth from last in the pool I’m in and I’d rather be in last since at least that way I’d get my money back. This really makes me wonder why I spent the past four months watching basketball.

5) Oh, and one local basketball note that I have to mention. Kansas State hired Bob Huggins as their head coach. I think we should just start a pool now: What will happen first? A) Kansas State makes the Sweet 16, B) Kansas State gets placed on probation for recruiting violations or C) a Huggins recruited player actually graduates. I’m sorry, but if people thought that Quin Snyder was sleazy then they will be amazed by what Huggins does. I’d rather hire Jerry Tarktanian, at least then you’re honest about what you are trying to do to the program.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Saw in the paper that FOUR (4) people out of over 3 million correctly picked all four teams in the Final Four on ESPN's tournament picks website. And one of those four, the guy admitted he got mixed up between George Mason and George Washington. He went back out and entered another set of picks.