Friday, March 31, 2006

Losing another hour of sleep...

In the best interest of time and sanity, here are a couple of quick points to end the week.

1) Saw this while driving earlier this week and it gave me pause. A car with one of those Christian fish emblems that also clearly contained a radar detector. Because God wants you to speed? Because God wants to stick it to the man? Because speed guns are a violation of our basic human dignity? Help me out here.

2) The Sports Illustrated baseball preview came out today and the White Sox were predicted to repeat as World Series champions. That worries me, I don’t want the team to have that much pressure on them. I just want what I always want, the White Sox to make the playoffs and the Cubs not to make the playoffs. Everything after that is gravy. The Royals were predicted to come in last in the AL Central but at least they weren’t described as a disgrace of a baseball team this year. That said, the season is still young.

3) Is anyone interested in seeing Basic Instinct 2? I’m not talking about my readership, I’m talking about society in general. I mean, the selling point is that it’s Sharon Stone naked except that I’ve seen that story before and it was a decade ago and it was much more interesting then. I don’t know if I could walk into that theater with any sense of pride. I just can’t imagine going up to the ticket booth and asking for “Basic Instinct 2, please.” I’d probably buy a ticket for Larry the Cable Guy: Health Inspector and then sneak into Basic Instinct 2.

4) Yes, I am disturbed as everyone else that Larry the Cable Guy gets a movie. That it rakes in millions of dollars shakes me to my very core. There is one thing that is worse, though. While walking through Barnes and Noble the other day I realized that Pamela Anderson, Nicole Richie and Jenna Jamison had all written novels before I did. Ok, write is probably not the right word here. More like, “Added their name to something that someone else wrote.” Still, how horrible is it to know that no matter how much I try, no matter what I write, it will never sell as much as Nicole Richie’s novel. Yikes, and I said that I was going to be positive this year.

(Insert five hour break while I go to a concert)

5) Just got back from seeing one of my favorite bands from last year, The Brunettes. Yes, the best band out of New Zealand made its way back to Lawrence and their songs were still as needlessly complicated as ever. Seriously, on one song you had one guy simultaneously playing a saxophone and rhythm guitar while the guy next to him is juggling a banjo and a trumpet. Well, not literally juggling but you get the idea. At one point you had three separate band members playing the xylophone simultaneously. I’m not sure that any song has ever called for a wall of xylophones but you have to give them credit for trying. They are an incredibly fun and talented group of kids and anyone who finishes their set by putting on Mary Kate and Ashley masks are tops in my book.

6) I was checking out Gawker.com this afternoon to get all of my celebrity gossip. (Somehow I have spun this to be part of my job description. Even I’m not sure exactly how that happened.) Anyway, they were kind of mocking a couple of news stories that were swirling around New York as to how leggings were the new fashion craze. The reason that I bring this up is that at the show tonight it seemed like every other girl wore leggings and in a few instances we even had a breakout of the retro leg warmer look. I mean, it was frighteningly consistent. It’s like if I walked into a bar tomorrow night and tried to count how many guys are wearing striped shirts, there’s just too damn many of them. But, here are my end thoughts. A) If the trend has hit Kansas that means that the trend is over and B) How frightening is it that I am noticing stuff like this?

7) The real reason I went to the show was to check out Clap Your Hands Say Yeah and they put on a pretty good show. I’m not that familiar with their stuff and I have a feeling that they are a band that you need to listen to a half dozen times before you figure out if you like them or not. I will say that I am probably the only person who in a 48 hour period sees both Hank Williams III and Clap Your Hands. I don’t know if you could say that I have a taste in music, more like I just listen to everything.

Ok, that’s it. Time to go to bed. Have a good weekend everybody and remember to spring forward. And if you live in Indiana, welcome to the wonderful world of Daylight Savings Time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had a similar, albeit much worse, experience to your Fish With Radar Detector run in. Here in lovely Miami where the attitude is "Me first, the rest is just details." I had a guy pull up behind me and lean on his horn, give me the finger and shout obscenities at me for not running the yellow light and forcing him to wait another 45 seconds. When the light turned and we both accelerated he of course flew past me at the first opportunity. As he passed me and cursed me again I saw his bumper sticker: WWJD

Honestly EC let me take this opportunity to advise you to maybe appreciate KC a little more than you do. It may be in the middle of nowhere (actually geographically its the middle of everywhere) and it may have its share of simple rednecks, but at least its not full of materialistic assholes who would gladly push an old lady under a bus if it would put another dollar in their pocket. I'm coming to believe that cities are like the Backer: its not the place itself but the people that live there. Literally live there in the case of spring semester.