Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A window onto Delaware

Last bit on the music comments: I completely agree about the revamping of Borders. For several years they were one of the best places to find music. They had an eclectic selection and while it was expensive you could certainly find what you were looking for. Over the past year or so I saw the quality and the care of the section decrease massively (the special displays seemed to go from highlighting artists to housing whatever CDs they had extras of.) Now they have removed most of the section completely and replaced it with absolutely nothing. Which is strange because I don’t think they have a clue what to do with that square footage and that has to be really troubling for the company. Still, that was the last straw on big box stores where you could find good music.

I’ve got a little bit of an apartment rant to go on at the moment. As I’ve mentioned before I live in a high rise apartment with massive windows. Well, on these massive windows have collected an amazing group of spiders. I say amazing because I am really high up in the air. Seriously, I’ve had birds smack into my windows up here. Yet I still have these spiders building intricate webs and capturing numerous insects. And these aren’t small spiders. These guys have some pretty serious length to them.

The good news is that they are on the outside of windows that cannot open so I don’t have to worry about them invading my apartment. However it is still rather creepy to look up and see a spider going flying past your field of view as it picks off whatever just hit its web. Right now I can see five of them and I can’t do anything about them. It does give me a bit of the heebie jeebies. My only solution is to pull down the shades but that would ruin the view of downtown Wilmington, which I admit isn’t much but it is really the only thing I have going for me here in Wilmington.

And Wilmington does have a skyline even though it consists mainly of bank buildings. Which was fun during the financial meltdown as I would wonder how they could even afford to keep the lights on. (Seriously, Chase and ING keep every single light on at all times. If I didn’t get paid by electricity usage I would have an issue.) I still don’t have a sense of this town though. Maybe my years out in Kansas have spoiled me as I got used to the sprawl. Big empty spaces filled up with strip malls. Now I am in the land of winding roads and no straight lines and I am never quite sure how to get from one place to another. Maybe I will get used to it eventually.

Wednesday Night Music Club: Since I’ve mentioned Carbon Leaf a lot this week I thought I would put in a live clip of them. This is from a record store appearance and shows how they caught my eye.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting bit about Borders. In 2008 they put into practice inventory reductions as a piece of a strategic plan to increase cash flow and reduce debt. In the latest earnings call Ron Marshall talked about further scaling back multimedia to free up space for categories that have greater growth potential such as cooking, wellness, children's, and biographies. So that empty floorspace at Border's will probably be filled later this year as they reconfigure stores.