Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The buglight of internet media

Not sure if people enjoyed my post last night but I sure had a blast writing it. Sometimes I write for my own enjoyment and that post, which probably required footnotes given all of the references that I made, is a prime example. Let’s face it no matter how hard I try I will always be a science fiction geek.

It is nice to know that I have found someone who will allow me to embrace the geekiness inside of me. Here is my latest example of how I have the best girlfriend in the world. Not only did we go out and buy a Nintendo Wii over the weekend but we also made sure to purchase the lightsaber attachments so that we can more accurately portray the battle between the Jedi. How awesome is that? Like I’ve said before, I’m the luckiest guy on the planet.

In more serious news, we get yet another presidential news conference on Wednesday night. Yes, this is about number forty this year in terms of prime time news conferences. I will at least give the president credit in that he has chosen a much better date this time than in previous news cycles. He avoids postponing the season premiere of Hells Kitchen tonight as well as the eviction episode of Big Brother on Thursday and will not interfere with my watching of Top Chef Masters. Forget about policy discussions, I will not have my reality tv watching disturbed.

Speaking of Big Brother (rather poor segue here but I will work on it) I need to discuss the whole Erin Andrews situation. Now most people know by now that someone secretly filmed Erin Andrews (ESPN’s favorite sideline journalist) undressing in her hotel room and uploaded the video to the internet. I found out about it through Deadspin on Friday afternoon and have since been following the fallout and reaction. And let me make it perfectly clear I have not watched the video because the entire idea of it makes me want to take a shower to wash off the dirt that just doesn’t want to come off. How anyone can be interested in watching footage taken by a guy who most likely drilled a hole into an adjoining hotel room and filmed through the hole is beyond me. It is horrible beyond words.

What is interesting in the blogosphere is that there is a great argument over how this should be viewed. Most people are appalled. A few truly wonder what the big deal is as she is just naked and not doing anything illegal or wrong. I’ve read more than a few comments to that effect. Obviously, I disagree completely. Even as someone who spends most of his free time analyzing the pop culture landscape there is a line drawn. We can make fun of Paris and Brittany and My Beloved Lindsay because they put themselves out there in these situations. If they want to get out of a car legs akimbo when they happened to forget to wear underwear that evening then commenting on the situation is allowable. (I feel better joking about it than being the guy with the telephoto lens who is apparently lying on the ground to get those shots.) But here is a situation where not only did she not know she was being filmed but the act of filming her was in itself a crime. This wasn’t an invasion of privacy it was a complete theft of it.

Should this story be covered online? Yes, because it is a news story. However, it isn’t a case of “Dude, check out this link I just found.” We’ve become such a voyeuristic society that an act of true voyeurism doesn’t even seem shocking anymore.

That is all for tonight. Enjoy Pi Approximation day.

No comments: