Thursday, July 16, 2009

Well, it is on Arnold Jackson Street

I have always stated that I am from Chicago but that is in reality not true. It is close to the truth but I have to admit that I have never had a Chicago address. Growing up I did have a 312 area code before getting shunted to the 708 area code and losing a lot of coolness in the process and then moving to 630 land, which is pretty much wagon train country. But even though I am really from Berwyn I always felt that I had the right to claim my heritage as a Chicago native because I could see the Sears Tower from my bedroom. I always felt like that was the rule: as long as you could still see the Sears Tower you are still in Chicago.

Even though I have moved and haven’t even lived in Illinois for almost eight years now the Sears Tower holds a special place in my heart. It shouldn’t surprise you that I was extremely upset that they had changed the name of the building this morning. Yes, now the tallest building in the world (screw what Guinness tells you, ornamental structures do not count as height) is to be referred to as the Willis Tower. As in the “Whatcha talkin bout” Tower. Or the Todd Bridges Memorial Building. Skidmore, Owings and / or Merrill must be rolling over in their graves.

Yes, I know that no one from Sears has worked in that building for more than fifteen years. The fact that Sears, a company that is barely still in business, has been able to keep its name on the tallest building in the nation’s architectural heartland is amazing in and of itself. But even so no one wants to see a name change. It doesn’t matter that the naming rights will raise money for the city. As Chicagoans we will continue to call things by their proper names. The United Center is still referred to by many as “The New Stadium”, US Cellular Field is “New Commiskey” and Willis Tower will remain the Sears Tower for a long time.

Here is my favorite Sears Tower memory. Back when I was a kid, maybe seven or eight, a guy climbed up the side of the building all the way to the top. Now if you look at the building you see that it is very boxy and broad shouldered and there is actually only one side of the building from which you can reach the top. (I still remember my dad telling me about that as a kid and every time I see it I look to find that side.) This guy, who happened to be named Dan, did the climb dressed in a Spider Man costume and as a result was referred to as Spider Dan. The Chicago fire department did their best to bring him down, including using fire hoses at one point which I felt was totally unfair, but he made it to the top and was promptly arrested.

Personally I always loved that story. I never understood why the cops tried to arrest him. Sure, I understand that you can’t have people randomly climbing up the sides of buildings at all times but the sheer challenge of going 103 stories with nothing to help you other than the equipment you made yourself makes you want to see if it can be done. Plus, he did it in a Spider Man costume. Maybe it was the first news story I ever saw where I could look at where it took place and not even comprehend how someone could do such a thing. I still look at that building and go how in the world did he pull that off. It might not be the prettiest building in the world but it creates that sense of awe that few buildings can attain.

No comments: