Thursday, July 09, 2009

Making friends with time

For those wondering how my weight loss program is going I have to say that it is well underway. Worked out again tonight which makes for three straight nights on the treadmill. I have finally found a treadmill workout that is quick, challenging and keeps me interested as I am on the road to nowhere. Basically it is five minutes at no incline followed by two minute intervals of 1, 4, 6, 8, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, and 5 degree inclines followed by five more minutes at 5 degrees and then a five minute cooldown. 35 minutes in all and even though I am only going at 3.6 miles an hour (which is damn slow) it is still a good beginning workout. As the speed increases I will feel better.

I’ll start adding in some weight training this weekend and bring that into the routine. I just feel better when I get started to just focus on the treadmill because I know how that should feel and I know that I will end my workout a sweaty mess and I still believe that as long as I am sweating that I am doing something right. I know that I will never be an athlete but I would at least like to be in better shape than I am now.

I am happier that I seem to have found a way to fit working out into my schedule. I know that working out at night isn’t optimal (everything I read tells me that I should do it in the morning except a) I am not a morning person and b) I do have a job to go to) but it works for me. I’ve figured out how to fit working out, writing, having dinner, reading and the rest of my real life into my evening routine. Mainly this is by banning Facebook chat sessions. I am sorry but from now on to talk to me you are most likely going to, you know, actually talk to me. I really have been shying away from Facebook these past few months because it is such a time vacuum and I really don’t have the time to deal with it anymore.

It is interesting though that as we near the weekend I am trying to figure out just what to do these next few days. One of the things about being in a long distance relationship is that when you are together that is what you are and you spend basically every moment together. When you are apart for the weekend you are really on your own and I typically struggle to figure out what to do with myself. Errands make up part of it as I can always do laundry or clean the apartment for part of the time. It is the evenings that become a little more challenging.

See, I can’t remember the last time I went out by myself to a bar in Delaware. It has to be months now. My typical reasoning to go to bars is to a) drink and b) meet people, hopefully of the female persuasion. However, now that I am with the best girlfriend ever I look at these reasons and determine a) I would typically have to drive to a bar here and that takes much of the fun out of drinking and b) while meeting new people is cool I would rather talk on the phone than waste my night in a bar. (I know some people would say, “Why don’t you go out with friends?” to which I reply that in my year out here I still don’t really know anyone. Take that for what you will.) So I will still have to struggle to figure out what to do this weekend. I might just go out for the sake of going out. Or I’ll watch a few movies. I’ll figure something out.

No comments: