Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Can I sleep now?

Thanks for all the comments on the New Orleans story. I’m glad to see that it came out as well as I had hoped. I still have a few more stories to tell from the trip and I plan on getting to them over the weekend. Valentine the dog definitely deserves his day in the sun as does the story of the wonders of absinthe. I’ll get to them eventually, I promise.

Oh, two other lent jokes I came up with today…

I decided to give up indecisiveness for lent. Actually, on second thought, maybe I won’t.

I was going to give up apathy for lent but I figured I would let someone else do it instead.

(It doesn’t take much to make me laugh on a Wednesday.)

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the worst part of the Obama presidency has been the complete ruining of my television schedule. Last night was the second time that my viewing of The Biggest Loser was interrupted because the President wanted to tell us that we are all screwed. All I want to do when I get home from work is lie on the couch, down a whole bag of Doritos and watch fat people sweat for two hours. But no, I have to listen to a lecture on fiscal responsibility and how we are now all going to have to sell our plasma to finance the national debt. Given that pop culture is our only export you would think that the president would allow us to enjoy the fruits of our labor.

However, while I know that most people in the press disliked Governor Jindal’s response I have to state that I am for any political leader who wishes the entire nation a happy Mardi Gras. That my friends is a sign of a politician that I can work with. Now, if only he was throwing out beads and had a brass band playing in the background then we might be able to say that we are making progress once again.

Though admittedly his questions about whether we should spend money on monitoring volcanoes seems at least a little odd. I mean, our nation does contain a number of mountains that on occasion will explode and devastate the surrounding region. It would be nice if we had a sense of, you know, when that might happen. Especially strange given that he is the governor of Louisiana, a state in which occasionally the entire population has to momentarily relocate to Arkansas until the weather clears.
(Apologies if this post is really disjointed tonight. I am just dead tired as I write it and my only goal is to get to the end of the page so that I can go to sleep.)

Wednesday Night Music Club: Per one of the comments, according to Papal Bull 784 Catholics are allowed to listen to the song Hallelujah during Lent. However, only the original version by Leonard Cohen and the three approved cover versions (Jeff Buckley’s, John Cale’s, and Rufus Wainwright’s) are permitted. Any other version is considered to be a venial sin and additional time in purgatory will result. If you listen to a version by someone who is or ever was a contestant on a reality talent show then it will be considered a mortal sin and you can expect to hear that version for the rest of your eternal torment.

So for everyone’s sake here is John Cale’s version. Enjoy.

No comments: