Sunday, May 14, 2006

Weekend update

First things first, the MySpace page is up and running. The page itself is at www.myspace.com/kcgatsby or you can just search for kcgatsby@aol.com. Yes, this truly is a brand extension as I attempt to make kcgatsby synonymous with cutting edge commentary and just overall awesomeness. Ok, so I still have a little work to do there. Thanks to Super Dave for posting the first comment. I think that he also posted the first comment to the blog and if I get that radio talk show host gig that I interviewed for, he’ll probably be the first caller. But at least the page does show that I have friends. Well, except for that Tom guy, who is a total douchebag.

(Man, I miss grade school insults. You never get to call someone a douchebag at the office, even though it is probably more appropriate there than in algebra class.)

Went home to Chicago for the weekend to be with the family on Mother’s Day and various birthdays. I am in one of those families where everyone is seemingly born within three weeks of each other, except for me who for years was the lone September birthday. This means that most of my luggage was filled with presents and the security people at KCI must really wonder why a guy has Barbie dolls in his backpack. But I did get to watch my niece play soccer and score two goals, thereby topping my athletic highlights and she’s only seven.

However, watching seven year olds play soccer is rather interesting. First, it has to be challenging to play goalie when the goalie jersey is longer than you are. Also, the concept of positions are rather vague as you have a few people who hang out in the back for defense and the rest in one big blob towards the ball. On top of that apparently they haven’t taught the kids offsides yet so you have the occasional cherry pick goal.

Yes, I was complaining about offsides at a soccer game being played by seven year olds. If you want to know the type of father that I am going to turn into that is probably a really good indicator. I’ll be the guy heckling the fifteen year old referee and being banned from games for taunting a nine year old. Man, I look forward to that.

(Oh one last MySpace comment. It took less than a day for me to get my first spam email through the site. I assume it is spam. It’s possible that some woman sent me an incredibly detailed email declaring herself to be my soulmate and asking if I could help her get to the states based solely on the initials EC and my listing of bands that I like. I just find that to be highly unlikely. But hey, still beats a few months ago when I had the bots posting on this site.)

The five random CDs of the week
1) The Flying Burrito Brothers “Farther Along: The Best of The Flying Burrito Brothers”
2) The Get Up Kids “Live at the Granada Theater”
3) Loreena McKennitt “The Book of Secrets”
4) Uncle Tupelo “March 16-20, 1992”
5) Ryan Adams “Rock and Roll”

No comments: