Tuesday, May 23, 2006

In a rambling mood...

Correction: It was 70,000 beer cans, not 700,000. Look, it was only a factor of ten, in engineering that is considered a perfectly respectable mistake. It also explains why I was a very, very poor excuse for an engineer.

That said, saw another news story today of a guy being pulled over in Lithuania with a blood alcohol level that was seventeen times the legal limit. At seventeen times the limit you should not be operating a motor vehicle. Technically, you shouldn’t even be alive at that point. It’s when the phrase, “I need to put a little more blood in my alcohol stream” is perfectly valid. But wow, the limits of what the human body can withstand is rather impressive.

Got a couple of other things to ramble on about tonight. I’ve been playing around with Pandora.com and it is a really good streaming music site. You enter the bands that you like and it creates your own personalized online radio station based on the musical qualities of the bands that you entered. Don’t ask me how they quantified the musical qualities of a band, all I know is that they have made me aware of some new bands. They’ve also made me feel very depressed as I go, “Wow, this is a really good song” only to find out that it is a Michelle Branch song and I am embarrassed to think that even for a second I was impressed by it. Yeah, it’s not easy being a music snob.

Also, while hanging out in the record store this evening I found out that I could get Fraggle Rock on DVD. Is it wrong that I found this to be one of the highlights of my day? I mean, how freaking sweet would it be to wake up one morning and just sit on the couch and watch Fraggle Rock episodes for like four hours? Including a commentary track, because there are such delicate intricacies that you just don’t catch the first time around. It’s nice to know that the studios have figured out that by putting shows that I watched when I was nine on DVD they can basically have my paycheck forwarded to them.

Oh, and one last note from the trivia contest last night. One of the sponsors was a blog that focuses on the Kansas City bar scene. Yes, I apparently have competition here that I was completely unaware of. It was nice running through there little magazine and going “Drank there, drank there, I’m banned from that place…” But it does look like I’ll have to start commenting on their blog to a) share my expertise and b) do a little cross promotion for this edge of the internet.

That’s about it for a lazy, hazy Tuesday. Life can’t be all fun and adventure.

No comments: