Thursday, May 25, 2006

Name that Name

Yet Another Trivia Update: Unable to pull off the three peat as we were leading going in to the last question but ended up missing the question on Blade Runner. Yeah, I’m embarrassed by the fact that I didn’t know the answer to a science fiction question, especially given that I have read “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?”, which is the story on which the movie is based. Apparently, I don’t know everything. Though I did sweep the Indy 500 category.

But the question and complaint on the team name of Kai Badgers is a valid one. First, here is how the name came to be. I have previously played as Cobra Kai, which is a pretty cool name. But those teams are really my teams, it was either me playing as a lone wolf or with one other partner, who given that he is from Sri Lanka isn’t really helpful on the 80’s television questions. So, given that it is tough to win by myself I’ve joined up with another team of guys I’ve joked with for months. They’ve taken to call themselves the Badgers since one of the guys is from Kenosha. Hence, the Kai Badgers.

It’s not the name that I would prefer. The best name that I came up with was Inanimate Carbon Rod, named after my favorite Simpsons character of all time. Dr. Wang will rise again, but that is saved for special occasions. But if anyone is willing to suggest new trivia names I am more than willing to use them. Imagine, your suggestion could have a room full of drunken trivia players going “God damnit, those bastards are winning again.”

I should also note that since I’ve joined another team I’m not the team leader here. I’m more of the guy who you can turn to for an answer in nearly any subject. It’s nice to not be in charge all of the time, though if I could get enough people from other aspects of my life I’d like to retake the team captain role. Though in those cases I tend to yell at people when they get questions wrong.

That was the other point that I wanted to make one night. Probably one of the reasons that I play trivia is this is the easiest way for me to have my competitive outlet. I’m not an athlete and have never been an athlete. Heck, I’ve only grown into my body and stopped being awkward for maybe two years now and I suffered so many injuries from being awkward and clumsy I can’t take advantage of the fact that I am now moderately coordinated. So I can’t compete in sports and I’ve never been one to be one of those loud obnoxious guys in the bars who compete in everything from drinking to getting digits to just existing. But I still have this need to challenge people and trivia it is.

But at least I’ll have some time off from it for a few days. Going to see Jon Dee Graham tomorrow night, which is much better than recalling the theme songs to 90’s sitcoms. I’m still not quite sure what else I am going to do this long weekend other than try to put some of my life in order. I will have a new Songbook entry early next week that I am going to take some time to write. It’s one that I’ve been meaning to write for three years so hopefully it will be worth the wait. Enjoy the weekend everyone.

No comments: