Sunday, May 21, 2006

Livin the high life

If you’re me, there isn’t a weekend that can go by without adventure. Or at least slightly comical stories about life in the slightly large city.

So I went to play trivia on Friday night and while it wasn’t one of my better nights I pulled off one of those moments that makes everyone wonder just how much I really know. My team was challenged in the category of Hot Pockets (nature’s most perfect food) and I was asked to name (within five) the number of different variations of Hot Pockets that are available. And I didn’t need to be within five because I got the number exactly. See, there is a benefit from being a single guy with absolutely no cooking ability. Hell, I could probably name all 26 varieties.

The other one is that the team sitting behind us were called the Slutatorians. First, that is a rather cool name. But even cooler is that everyone started challenging the team to answer questions so I got to yell, “We’re rioting the sluts” though another team topped me by going “We’ve got to riot the slut bags.” They were cool about it and the girls on the team were pretty cool over all. Yeah, of course I went over to talk to them, I just couldn’t bring myself to order a tray of red headed sluts to send to their table.

Went out in Westport last night and found out what I had feared was correct, that Heather, one of my absolute favorite bartenders, had finally moved to Chicago to start school. I knew this day was coming for months but I was basically in denial. You know how in all of those management books how they talk about how people do not adapt well to change in the office? Well, a bar basically is my office and changing staff causes much upheaval in my life. It takes months for me to learn names and train the staff (in an office it’s called managing up at the bar it’s called being a regular). Oh well, such are the challenges we face in life.

(By the way, Heather was a cool bartender mainly because she just didn’t really care and would just hang around and talk with whoever was at the bar. This created this odd symbiotic relationship between the two of us as I would provide her company and she would provide me alcohol. Often without me ever technically ordering it. In a way, Heather moving to Chicago might actually put a few years back on my life.)

Still, last night turned into a late night as I hung around with Cardinals fans and a few people I knew who happened to be at the bar. I was intending to make last call but I did which also meant that the page and a half list of to do items that I wrote out on Thursday still haven’t been completed. Looks like they’ll have to wait because I’m playing trivia again tomorrow night. At some point I’m just going to have to call it my second career and leave it at that.

The five random CDs for the week:
1) Jenny Orenstein “Astroturf”
2) The Handsome Family “Live at Schuba’s Tavern”
3) Tim Buckely “Tim Buckley and Goodbye and Hello”
4) Paul Simon “Graceland”
5) Various Artists “Por Vida: A Tribute to Alejandro Escovedo”

No comments: