Sunday, November 22, 2009

Werewolves AND vampires?

Wasn’t New Moon amazing? I mean, I knew I was going to have to wait out in the cold Thursday night for the midnight showing but it was so worth it….

(While driving around this weekend I saw a minivan with “Honk if you are a New Moon fan” painted on the window. What a bunch of nerds and this is coming from a guy with his own stormtrooper costume. I’ll leave it with this: I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again; never underestimate the purchasing power of teenage girls.)

Glad to see that people enjoyed the Bon Jovi post. I hoped that it would go over well especially given that I have had to spend the past several days with that song running through my head. You can only hear yourself go “Oh ho!” so many times before you want to push a pencil in your ear to make it stop. Next one will most likely be either Poison or Whitesnake as hair metal seems to be an endless source of material.

Well I did force myself to watch the Notre Dame game over the weekend and I have to say that this has to be the end for Charlie Weis. He may have done a good job as a recruiter, particularly on offense, but I have never seen a coach lose so many winnable games. This isn’t a case of the team having .500 talent. There is no reason why this shouldn’t be a 9-3 team playing in the Gator Bowl based on talent alone. At some point you have to look at the head coach and go something is wrong.

Yes, it would help if we had anyone coaching or possibly even playing defense. I was thinking, have we had an NFL caliber linebacker since Rocky Boivan? Or an NFL cornerback since…since…I can’t even name the last one. You would think that defense would be our strong suit but outside of linemen like Justin Tuck we really haven’t been producing top talent on that side of the ball.

The good news is that Weis pretty much knows that he is done so there will not be much drama on that end. Plus, the ND job will be the highest profile job opening so we should be able to get the best of the possible candidates. I’m not sold on the Cincinnati coach, mainly because I can’t remember his name and being able to win in the Big East is not exactly something I consider to be that challenging. I would like Gruden but that is probably not going to happen. I’ll take a guy who gets the players to live up to their talent. That would be a good start.

Best of 120 Minutes: Keeping on the Notre Dame front, this was like one of the five good songs one could choose from the Backer jukebox back in my day. Which was 2002.



The five random CDs for the week:
1) The Polyphonic Spree “Together We’re heavy”
2) De La Soul “3 Feet High and Rising”
3) Harry Connick Jr. “We are in Love”
4) Caitlin Cary “While You Weren’t Looking”
5) Caitlin Cary “I’m Staying Out”

2 comments:

Foodie said...

Did you really watch New Moon? I thought it was pretty bad but I loved the experience because my theater was full of screaming teenage girls who screamed through the entire movie - or at least yelled out comments.

I loved that so much I can't tell you. No better way to enjoy a movie in my book... hence Mystery Science Theater....

Anonymous said...

If you really did go see New Moon, please tell me you dressed up like Blade