Thursday, November 05, 2009

And you've won a brand new car!

Well I’ve finally done it. I’ve broken down and purchased a new car. Mainly because my old car had broken down as well. Let me explain the entire process.

As I may have mentioned before I have had an issue with my passenger side window. As in it had fallen off the track and now was unable to move. (The moment that it first fell off may have coincided with Kim trying to lower it though I blame eight years of wear over her actions.) Now for the past few months this was crappy but manageable. I’d push the window up so that it was as flush as could be and a week later it slides down, I spend a drive with more wind than I would like and I push it back up again. That worked great until last night when I took a turn that caused the window to fall completely off the track and go down into the depths of the door where it could not be returned leaving me sans a window.

If I lived in a more temperate climate this may not be so bad. It would at least be manageable and since I never keep anything of value in my car it is not like I was at risk of anything being taken. However, Delaware in November is rather cold and rainy and that makes the act of driving to work rather painful when you have one window rolled down in forty degree weather. Hence, it was time to buy a new car.

For the record I’ve been planning to buy a new car for months. My Grand Am was eight years old with just under 84,000 miles on it, all of which I had driven. She still ran well and someone is going to end up with a nice car when they fix her up but it was time for me to say goodbye. And yes, I did literally have to go and say goodbye when I traded her in. Think about it: that car was with me every moment from when I went to Notre Dame to today. That is a pretty sizable chunk of my life spent in the comfortable, if stained, seats.

So I went to my local Ford dealer to pick up a car. I chose Ford for two simple reasons. One, I’m not a communist so I buy American. I had been a GM guy but given that Ford has been doing well and I don’t trust GM at the moment they had my vote. Plus, Kim is from a Ford family and if I have learned anything in life is that you keep the family happy. Not that I would have chosen differently even if she wasn’t but let’s face it, after the whole paying for dinner fiasco of a few years ago I now try to be as conscious as possible about these things.

What did I buy? I am now the proud owner of a Ford Taurus and trust me, this isn’t one of those old Taurus’s that you probably drove in Driver’s Ed. This car is pretty freaking sweet. Great pickup, nice engine, stylish as all get out. I am really psyched about owning this car. Officially I am going to refer to it as the Taunton. Partly because I used it to escape from the cold and partly because there is a glow in the dark emergency latch in the trunk that will allow me to escape from the inside. Hence I literally can crawl up inside the belly of the car if need be to protect myself from the weather on Hoth and then escape in the morning. What better reason to buy a car than that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow it has been a while since you've bought a car. All new cars sold in the US since 2002 have come with a glow in the dark escape latch in the trunk.