Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Encouragement: South Bend Style

It only took three years but someone finally punched Jimmy Claussen in the face. It creates a nice bookend for his Notre Dame career. He starts it by getting out of a stretch limo in front of the College Football Hall of Fame and ends it by getting sucker punched at CJs.

For those who haven’t heard the story or are unfamiliar with the details of the South Bend bar scene I’ll try to fill you in. Jimmy Claussen, the 22 year old true junior quarterback…let me go off on that point for a moment. When I was 22 I had already graduated and was well into the first year of my job. Claussen is just starting his junior year. Does that strike anyone else as really, really bad? No wonder he looks like a stud compared to 18 year old defensive backs. Anyway, after the horrendous loss to UConn Jimmy was with his family at CJs having a nice dinner at two in the morning when he was assaulted by a disgruntled fan.

Now to put CJs in perspective the only times in my two years in South Bend that I can recall going there involve either a) Erik playing a gig there or b) bar golf and to be honest I can’t actually recall the night of bar golf. I just assume I was there. Basically it is a dive bar amongst dive bars only known for having a decent burger and being conveniently located next to the hospital. So you are there only if you feel like getting completely trashed. So it is at least a little odd that this is where we find young Jimmy.

Did he deserve to get punched in the face? Discounting the fact that every picture of him makes him look like a smug jerk and I would love to see the injury report read Claussen: Out (Douchebag) I really can’t blame the crappy season on him. It’s not his fault that the defense can’t tackle anybody. Or that the redzone offense consists of randomly throwing the ball in the air and hoping that someone tall catches it. Still, if you want a good understanding of the level of discontent in South Bend we are starting to beat up the players on our team who are actually good. Imagine what we are doing to the linebacking corps.

Remember everyone this is the time of year where we give thanks. As in “Thank God this season is over” and “Thankfully I will have an excuse to watch the Little Caesars’ Pizza Bowl this year.”

No comments: