Thursday, April 30, 2009

There is no there here either

Here is the nice thing about the Swine Flu. For the first time in my life my obsessive compulsiveness will come in handy. Now I can wash my hands repeatedly and everyone will think that I am just taking extra precautions as opposed to, you know, trying to get rid of the dirt that never seems to wash off. I knew that if I stuck with it long enough eventually it would be proved to be perfectly rational behavior.

It has been a rather long week and I still have one more day in the office to go. It is strange as to just how busy I am seeing that I really don’t do much. I mean, it is not like I am out at the bars every night. In fact, the degree that I go out now compared to when I lived in Kansas City is astounding. I haven’t even made it out to play trivia in weeks. Yet every night seems to be packed even all I seem to do is talk to Kim, watch tv and write. Admittedly, those are some of my favorite things in the world and I look forward to them every day but it is just odd in that they seem to take up the majority of my life.

I guess part of the reason is just the weird area in which I live. Wilmington is just a strange town. For being the largest city in the state and having a rather decent sized downtown there just doesn’t seem to be much to do. I’m sure there is and I just haven’t found it but I still find it odd that I barely pass any fast food restaurants on my way home. Everything that I would like to do always seems to be a fifteen minute drive away and that takes a lot of the fun out of things.

If there is anything that I miss about Kansas City in terms of the town itself it is the fact that I lived in quite possibly the most convenient location possible. I was blocks away from restaurants and bars. Two music clubs that featured national acts were within walking distance. A grocery store was directly across the street. On consecutive nights I could walk to a bar to play trivia and hang out with great friends. The main high end shopping district was a mile away. The only thing that wasn’t within walking distance from my apartment was a Target and a Best Buy. Other than that I could do pretty much anything I wanted without ever having to get into my car.

I guess what I miss is that convenience. I am already planning my list of things to do this weekend because now when I go out it is more of an excursion. I need to know where I am going and what I am going to pick up when I get there because of the time it will take. I have to optimize my trip and on a Saturday I have no desire to be optimizing anything. All I want to do is turn my brain off and just live in the moment. I’m hoping that I will find a way to accomplish that while living here but it has turned into a bigger challenge than I had anticipated.

No comments: